cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone still use the BOA Travel Rewards Card?

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone still use the BOA Travel Rewards Card?

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I refuse to apply for the BOA Travel Rewards card, the Barclay Arrival Plus card, the Capital One Venture card, or any other card that limits my redemptions to statement credits for travel spending.  I already have a 2% cash back card that allows me to redeem for unrestricted cash.  Why get a card that restricts my redemptions to travel?

The BoA TR card's points can be transferred to the Premium Rewards card and redeemed for cash.  The Barclay Arrival and Cap1 Venture cards can also be PC'd to other products where you can then redeem the same points for cash.

All of these cards are really only intersting for their signup bonuses.  Even if they are only redeemable for travel, they are still worth churning IMHO.

Message 21 of 38
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The two recent CCs of BOA Premium Rewards and Uber are two excellent CCs, practically without AF (AF of BOA PR would be covered by airline credit). If qualifing for PR might not be straightforward, the TR would be a good option.

I like to see more innovative, competitive and attractive products like these in the upcoming future. Otherwise, prefer to do gardening...

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

As I have mentioned on these forums many times, unless you are Preferred Rewards and getting 2.62% on every purchase with this card, I don't see much point in it. 1.5% that you can only spend on travel. What's the point? Why not just use a cash back card with an equal or greater return? You can get the same 1.5% or 2% in cold hard cash you can do whatever you want with.

Like I said, Preferred Rewards changes the discussion somewhat, but on its own, I think the card is underwhelming.

Agreed. It's only great for fraud protection on purchases if you're someone who wants to safeguard your money, since BoA has the best fraud protection in the industry, or if you're an average credit card user who wants overdraft protection/all of your accounts at BoA, if you aren't a preferred customer. 

What's the basis for this claim? I've no experience with BofA, but haven't heard this before.

Chase and BoA are neck and neck. They both have next day reimbursment of debit card funds, and I'm sure the same is true with credit cards. 

Message 23 of 38
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Does BoA allow product changes from Travel Rewards to Premium Rewards ? Is there really any benefit to the PR over the TR ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 24 of 38
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Does BoA allow product changes from Travel Rewards to Premium Rewards ? Is there really any benefit to the PR over the TR ?

Not sure about PC, but PR returns 2x on restaurants and travel vs. 1.5x on everything with the TR.  Also, PR points can be redeemed for statement credit, not just toward travel purchases.

Message 25 of 38
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I saw that, but it has a 95 annual fee.
Now I saw that you can use a 100 pre check credit every 4 years I think. But that’s still paying $95 three years for a tad better rewards.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 26 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MrDisco99 covered the differences pretty well.  Also if you use the travel credit, they actually pay you $5 a year to have the card.  Plus there's the Global Entry reimbursement.  A PC should be possible as long as you have a minimum $5,000 credit line (unlike Travel Rewards and Cash Rewards, the Premium Rewards card is only issued as a Visa Signature product and BoA doesn't play loose with the $5k requirement), but you would be missing out on the $500 signup bonus.

Message 27 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I saw that, but it has a 95 annual fee.
Now I saw that you can use a 100 pre check credit every 4 years I think. But that’s still paying $95 three years for a tad better rewards.

Don't forget the $100 annual airfare "extras" credit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Also if you have Platinum Preferred Honors, that $95 can be recouped quickly on restaurant and travel purchases at 3.5% over the TR's across-the-board 2.625%.

Message 29 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:
What's the basis for this claim? I've no experience with BofA, but haven't heard this before.

Chase and BoA are neck and neck. They both have next day reimbursment of debit card funds, and I'm sure the same is true with credit cards. 

I'm a bit rusty on the debit side of things. How would Discover or Citi (or other banks/CUs) compare in the speed of reversing/reimbursing fraudulent debit transactions?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.