cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone switch up their daily driver recently?

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone switch up their daily driver recently?

I switched from Cap1 to Discover IT and Amex Green and BCE for my daily drivers. I want the first year cash back and trying to get MR points and statement credits. So far, it's nice.
Message 41 of 65
ambivalent
Established Contributor

I've been using my Disco since I'm in my first year.  I'm thinking I may go to my NFCU goRewards for a little bit.  I noticed that when I got an auto-cli on my cash rewards, it came after I used it a bunch after not using it at all.  

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 42 of 65
impactplayer
New Contributor

Yes, I am using my USAA Limitless now (2.5% CB) instead of Citi DC. For groceries, I use BCP and for revolving categories, I use my Disco IT or my wife's Chase FU. Also, rocking the Blispay for large purchases over $199 for the 2% CB and 6 month no interest financing. 

Combine the above with Target and Amazon cards and CSP for travel, it gets to be a bit confusing sometimes! 

Message 43 of 65
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Since I lead a simple life and my main expenses are groceries, gas, and Amazon purchases, you can guess which card was my longtime driver. Sweet sweet Sallie Mae. After Sallie was so cruelly murdered earlier this year, I switched to Cap One Quicksilver. I don't have any 2% cards, so at 1-1/2% it's my best everyday card, even though its not much.

But I've loved Discover in Q2 for 5% onhome improvement, and in Q3 they made one of their "special for you" offers of 5% on Amazon, so I think it might be Discover for the rest of this year, assuming they also offer 5% on Amazon in Q4 as they usually do.

For many years Discover was the only card I had. If I had to return to only one card for any reason, it would always be Discover for their wonderful customer service and great overall benefits.

Message 44 of 65
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Daily driver is now Blispay vs Disco..

Someone explained how to use the card *AND* still have offers on it..

-J

Message 45 of 65
galahad15
Valued Contributor

The cards I find I am using most often these days:

(1)  FNBO Amex Travelite:  recently went on vacation, paid using this card for the 3x travel points, also made use of the annual $100 travel incidentals credit feature. 

(2)  Cap1 NHM MC:  2% cashback on all purchases, redeemable for travel (just like Venture).

(3)  Citi DPR VISA:  currently have an active temporary promo of 5% cashback for all online purchases, plus 8-9 months 0% APR on purchases.

(4)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F APR plus rewards.

(5)  PACU MC:  7.50% F APR plus rewards.

(6)  US Bank Cash+:  for the 5% cell phone and ground travel categories

(7)  Blispay:  for certain purchases $199+ for the 6-mo. 0% feature, plus 2% cashback.

(8)  BoA BBR(x2):  for the quarterly $25 statement credit.

I am also using a few cards for 0% promos, such as my Citi DC and BoA Cash Rewards MC.  Some other cards have recurring monthly purchases on them, like my FNBO BucksBack VISA and Discover IT.

Message 46 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I'm not doing a signup bonus, my distribution is the following:

1. Restaurants - CSR @ 3x UR
2. Travel (airfare, rentals, parking, etc.) - CSR @ 3x UR
3. Gas - BCP @ 3% cash back
4. Groceries (including gift cards) - BCP @ 6% cash back
5. Department Stores (including Macy's) - BCP @ 3% cash back
6. Rent - Freedom Unlimited - 1.5x UR (about equivalent to the fee I'm charged to use a credit card, so I think of the fee as an investment in travel--it helps build up my stock of points by about 1200 points a month)
7. Rotating Categories - Freedom @ 5x UR
8. Everything Else - SPG @ 1x Starpoints, Freedom Unlimited @ 1.5x UR

I used to use my PRG for gas and restaurants, but I upgraded my CSP to the CSR and the PRG to a Platinum (for a 60,000 point offer). I've also gotten an ED card, but while I have a 0% APR I'm just paying off my last vacation. I may consider upgrading the ED to an EDP if given the right offer.

However, lately I've been wondering if I might be missing out on other non-point benefits by using the cards I do for general purchases. I started thinking about this when I had to pay for some travel expenses up front. The CSR offers a lot of travel protections that the Platinum doesn't. So the earning structure of the Platinum may have been better for my airfare expenses, but the travel protections from Chase have value, too. For everyday purchases that are not groceries/subscriptions/etc. I'm wondering if I should be putting more of that spend on my Platinum card, particularly if the SPG card goes away. I could get 1.5 MR with an EDP, and I could get 1.5 UR with Chase, but the purchase protections for the Platinum are far better. The only question is whether they are .5 MR or UR better...
Message 47 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pretty much use my Penfed Rewards card for everything because of the rewards such as groceries and gas and the CL is high plus the interest is low if I ever need to let a balance roll over. NFCU for gas and eating out. My other favorites are in my signature. All this being said, for certain purchases I still use other cards. I use my Bank of America Rewards for monthly bills. I like it because my rewards go directly into my savings acccount. If I have a large purchase on Amazon, I use my Amazon store card. For purchases I plan to pay over time I use Penfed Promise and Barclay Ring. For home improvement I use my Home Depot card. I also keep my BlisPay account busy for the cash back feature. 

Message 48 of 65
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

CSR since January has gotten something like 85% of my transactions, probably higher than that if I exclude non-swipes from my online habits.

Doesn't really make much rational sense but other than gas I just don't have many expenses which don't fall there even when back in the States.  This job is strange when I look at it in cold financial terms.  Hrm, budget likey though.

        
Message 49 of 65
minski
Established Contributor

I guess I misunderstood the term daily driver. The cards I am using the most these days: US Bank Cash+ (5%/2% eating out and cellphone bill), PenFed Cash Rewards (5% gas), Amazon Prime Store Card ((5% Amazon) - but will change soon, I hope? Need to spend less there...), and Fidelity Visa (Starbucks card reloads - and may revert to using this for general spend again). Miscellaneous spends to some of my other cards but no major spending. When my FNBO TravElite arrives I will have to divert a lot of spend to get the spend bonus, though - or schedule a somewhat pricey (to me) vacation Smiley LOL

Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.