cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone uses checks to pay credit card statements?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone uses checks to pay credit card statements?

@Anonymous wrote:
My customers that do write checks say they write it because they don't want their fraudulent charges on their debit card. Yet when they open their wallets I seen like 5 credit cards.

Checks can be subject to fraud too. Even easier!

Oh, people. It's all fine and dandy though. If everyone took advantage of rewards like most of us do here, they'd take em away from us.

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's true, and everything would be nerfed. But I'll never understand having a wallet full of credit cards if you only use your debit card. That was my fiancé for awhile and thank god I've taken over managing the accounts.
Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

If theres a local branch just walk in and pay with a check or cash in branch. I pay my US bank and BOA in cash regularly. Us bank in particular usually tries to offer me a nice sign on bonus to open a checking account when i do it. Eventually i might take em up on it, but i have enough credit union accounts. I just pay cash because I bartend and make cash, plus have to drive past 2 us bank branches on my 10 block drive to work.

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That's true, and everything would be nerfed. But I'll never understand having a wallet full of credit cards if you only use your debit card. That was my fiancé for awhile and thank god I've taken over managing the accounts.

I will use debit for certain things like buying a snack at the machine at work. $1 snack = 10c cashback

BoA appears to still have "keep the change" going. They had that YEARS ago when I banked with them. I'd purposely add a candy bar or something to push my transaction just past to the next dollar. $14.03 and 97c deposited into my savings? Yes plz.

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If theres a local branch just walk in and pay with a check or cash in branch. I pay my US bank and BOA in cash regularly. Us bank in particular usually tries to offer me a nice sign on bonus to open a checking account when i do it. Eventually i might take em up on it, but i have enough credit union accounts. I just pay cash because I bartend and make cash, plus have to drive past 2 us bank branches on my 10 block drive to work.

About the only cash I get these days is for duty gear, so this all goes to one of our auto loans.

Everything else is CC via square or checks or payroll DD.. Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I pay all my bills by check unless I can pay by CC with a net gain on rewards.

If I'm going to sit down and balance my register against the paper statement it's hardly more trouble to cut a check.

Plus I just find writing checks pleasant for whatever reason.

I truly don't understand how writing checks could be considered "pleasant."

And I would call you weird, except that I actually get great pleasure out of reconciling each and every of my credit card, bank and savings accounts each month. There's something very satisfying about getting everything to balance out to the penny. It's particularly exciting when I can reconcile a busy account, and everything matches with no question. More often, there's a transfer I've forgotten to enter, or an automatic payment that I didn't account for, or some such. And the momentary dissonance caused by the discrepancy makes the resolution when I discover the reason and make the appropriate entry all the sweeter when everything reconciles to zero. Ahhhh, balance in my universe.

So, who's weirder? Smiley Happy

Chris.

+1!!!!!  I am a nut when it comes to reconciling and making sure every penny is accounted for!  I use YNAB software and I love how it is all neatly plugged in.

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm going to sit down and balance my register against the paper statement it's hardly more trouble to cut a check.

And I would call you weird, except that I actually get great pleasure out of reconciling each and every of my credit card, bank and savings accounts each month. There's something very satisfying about getting everything to balance out to the penny. It's particularly exciting when I can reconcile a busy account, and everything matches with no question. More often, there's a transfer I've forgotten to enter, or an automatic payment that I didn't account for, or some such. And the momentary dissonance caused by the discrepancy makes the resolution when I discover the reason and make the appropriate entry all the sweeter when everything reconciles to zero. Ahhhh, balance in my universe.

Chris.

+1!!!!!  I am a nut when it comes to reconciling and making sure every penny is accounted for!  I use YNAB software and I love how it is all neatly plugged in.

Lol people still reconcile? I just make sure my payments match my bank account and let online banking do the mathy parts.

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Lol people still reconcile? I just make sure my payments match my bank account and let online banking do the mathy parts.

It is part of the budget software I use!  It is done in a way to make you be more active with your finances.  I love it!  I am not addicted to credit apps/credit limits....but I am very addcited to saving and seeing those numbers (emergency funds/savings/retirement funds) go up every month!  It started several years ago after a bad divorce and being left with nothing.  Goal is to have my mortage paid off before I turn 40.  I never get car loans, I pay in cash and drive them till the wheels fall off, lol.  But it sure feels good to be debt free and own your home free and clear. 

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@akula wrote:

@orestrus wrote:
Im having some issues with my online banking, and im just wondering if anyone has an experience paying for their credit card with checks. How long does it take to clear? Will they apply the payment immediately or after check clears? Just want to make sure its applied before due date which is 6 days away. Thanks

6 business days away?  If not, I would not count on the check being delivered/processed in time.  Whatever issue you are having with your bank, I would try and rectify ASAP.  Are you trying to push the payment via ACH from your banking system?  I have never used that method for a credit card.  I always utilize the lender's site to pull the funds from my bank account.  This typically takes account verification, but 6 days is more than enough to accomplish that and submit payment in time (business days or not).

Again, I would never be able to sleep at night knowing that my credit payment history is dependant on a check making it's way through the mail system.  Personally, I think the US Mail system is the best in the world, but no way am I going to bank on it.

Totally agree. How is OP not worried about late penalties when paying via mail? There does not exist any reason to prefer paying CC by check over ACH under any circumstance.

If you enjoy the pleasure of writing checks, write one to yourself. That's how I get the $0.1 bonus from discover and satisfy one-deposit requirement of citizens.

Message 29 of 35
Pway
Valued Contributor

I must admit I still use checks to pay my bills. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.