cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone wanna hear a funny Financial Review story?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone wanna hear a funny Financial Review story?

@Watchmann wrote:
If you have been doing this for three years why not set up an automatic payment on the due date?  It works and you don't have to keep monitoring the account and making payments every week.  You can always pay early if you want if you are approaching your CL. 

That's actually the way I set up my own Amex account. I don't really use their autopay, but it is there and ready in case my mind decides to take a month off.

Message 11 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ArisGreek wrote:

So hauling would you suggest not charging everything? I charge EVERYTHING on my AMEX card and pay it once a week, sometimes twice a month.  I charge dunkin' donuts coffee, gas, groceries, cafeteria at work, cell, cable, etc..everything. Should I not do it? I've had them for almost 3 years in January.  

No, that's not what I was saying. I run everything through plastic, too, varying cards by the differing rewards.

I was talking about the frequently-posted suggestions that the moment you get a new AmEx, especially a charge card with its mystery internal limit, you should run around and charge everything that can't get escape in time, solely in hopes that AmEx will beam upon you and immediately increase your internal limit.

In my experience, they're pretty prompt about increasing your limit just via normal usage. If your normal usage will involve things along the line of gas, grocs, your cell phone bill, and Dunkin' Donuts, that's what you should start out using it for. If your normal monthly usage will involve 4 round-trip business class tickets, 14 nights in hotels, restaurant charges, and dry-cleaning your suits on the road, then start out using it for that.

But I don't get this hurry-up, hurry-up initial charge-o-rama that so many members do in order to sky-rocket your internal limit from the get-go. IMO, it just increases your chances that the giant inquiring eye will swivel your way. Let them go F/R someone else, I say. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

I don't want to convey any critical vibes to the OP, but why would someone pay 24 times a month? That is excessive. Credit and charge cards are supposed to make our lives easier, not more complicated! They are not debit cards for that matter, and one shouldn't treat them that way. A weekly payment to take off the brunt of the statement reporting balance, ok, I can see that. But paying off every single charge separately would certainly raise a red flag with me if I were a banker.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.