Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financially illiterate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financially illiterate

Ba dum tshhhhhhh!

So, we've established that a generalization was made and that carrying balances is okay if it's a means to an end.

Message 71 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ba dum tshhhhhhh!

So, we've established that a generalization was made and that carrying balances is okay if it's a means to an end.

+1 to you, Nixon, for saving 7 pages of reading!

Message 72 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that the thread headline may sound disrespectful, and I apologize for any offense, but I think a blunt, tough message on that one is appropriate. I have been browsing these forums and I have been stunned to see people talking like this as if it is anything other than truly dire circumstances. 

Running a balance on a credit card is digging yourself into a hole. The interest rates are ludicrous.

Anyone who has a balance on their credit card, regardless of how low, should be figuring out how to get rid of that balance this month -- ideally by paying it down, if not, by taking out a loan at a better rate, or remortgaging. Once paid off you should never, ever carry a balance again.

Do people just not know this?

I pay off my credit card balance in full every month. I use the cards because they are a convenient way to pay, and I like earning the rewards points and such, but I would do anything possible to avoid carrying a balance.

I pay off my balances in full each month. However, I disagree with your statement. Absolute statements are silly. There are exceptions to every rule. 

Reasons to carry a balance?

1. 0% APR offer - Just make sure you pay it off before interest hits. Can be risky if you don't have self control and fail to pay off the balance before the intro period ends. 

2. Emergences - I am lucky enough to have affluent parents and to earn well. However, not everyone can afford to cover major emergency expenses with cash. If you don't have the cash, sometimes you have limited options. 

Don't get me wrong, I think most people carrying balances do so for poor reasons. Nevertheless, you made an incorrect statement since you phrased it in the absolute rather than as a general rule. 

Message 73 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its amazing to me that some of these threads stick around so long while others are immediately flagged as trouble. This isnt friendly or respectful based on the title alone 😑 Enjoy your day folks, play nice
Message 74 of 100
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Its amazing to me that some of these threads stick around so long while others are immediately flagged as trouble. This isnt friendly or respectful based on the title alone 😑 Enjoy your day folks, play nice

It was flaged to mods long ago but there seems to be a shortage of mods. But it takes two to tango and it amazes me they keep feeding it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 75 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if I really see it as a problem thread. Not everything deserves to be silenced. Sometimes we need a good solid CHARGED debate to liven things up!

Message 76 of 100
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financially illiterate

And my brand of car is the only car anybody should ever drive.

And the stores I shop at are the only stores anybody should ever shop at.

And the model of TV I own is the only model of TV anybody should ever own.

And the number of children I have is the only number of children anybody should ever have.

And anybody who isn't in the same career as I am is a dunce.

And my religion is the only true religion and you're damned if you don't heed me.

And ... anybody who isn't me is just plain WRONG about everything.

Message 77 of 100
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

. However, I disagree with your statement. Absolute statements are silly. There are exceptions to every rule. 

Got to be careful about those paradoxes!

Message 78 of 100
Jay_D83

Without balance carriers, credit cards would NOT exist.  Swipe fees would not be profitable enough for banks to continue issuing them.   I've also never understood why some people think they should be able to borrow money for FREE....Interest payers keep this credit card game going. 

Message 79 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jay_D83 wrote:

Without balance carriers, credit cards would NOT exist.  Swipe fees would not be profitable enough for banks to continue issuing them.   I've also never understood why some people think they should be able to borrow money for FREE....Interest payers keep this credit card game going. 

Because everyone likes free?

Message 80 of 100
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.