Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financially illiterate

tag
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financially illiterate

Although I agree. I also agree sometimes it is unintentional or an emergency.

I had 0% APR for 6 months on my Discover and did not realize it was 6 months, I thought it was 12 months.. So I was surprised to realize the 0% APR deadline was up. I quickly paid off most of my card (some still to go). I make little income in college is why it is taking me time to finish paying it off. I DID learn my lesson and became more financially literate. However, I can't say I won't do it again if an emergency comes up. But I can only hope that doesn't happen.

Message 31 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed, I don't completely agree with this. It's possible to have an unexpected expense pop up, and you don't want to dip into your savings account to pay it (for whatever reason). I have and will in the future pay small amounts of interest, although I will only use my Barclaycard Ring to do so (this was a big reason for getting this card for me, with another being the lack of FTFs). I don't feel that at 8% you're getting screwed as much as most cards with 11%+ APRs (my next lowest APR is 11.99% APR on my BOA BBR). It seems to me that for a few dollars per month, I've made way worse purchases than a little bit of interest on the Ring. But that's just my opinion. I personally only carry a balance for a couple of months before paying it off, only having a balance for less than half of the year on that card, just for when the unexpected happens.

The reason would be "you are not thinking clearly," or "clearly, you are not thinking."  One of the two.

p.s.  BTW, would if bother you if I refer to you, in the future, as "exhibit number one?"

Message 32 of 100
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed, I don't completely agree with this. It's possible to have an unexpected expense pop up, and you don't want to dip into your savings account to pay it (for whatever reason). I have and will in the future pay small amounts of interest, although I will only use my Barclaycard Ring to do so (this was a big reason for getting this card for me, with another being the lack of FTFs). I don't feel that at 8% you're getting screwed as much as most cards with 11%+ APRs (my next lowest APR is 11.99% APR on my BOA BBR). It seems to me that for a few dollars per month, I've made way worse purchases than a little bit of interest on the Ring. But that's just my opinion. I personally only carry a balance for a couple of months before paying it off, only having a balance for less than half of the year on that card, just for when the unexpected happens.

The reason would be "you are not thinking clearly," or "clearly, you are not thinking."  One of the two.

p.s.  BTW, would if bother you if I refer to you, in the future, as "exhibit number one?"

Why do you care what other people do with their money? If I feel that it's worth 8% APR to carry a balance, it really doesn't affect you. It's not as if I'm asking you to pay my like $1-$3 in interest monthly, but seriously, if $1-$3 is going to break the bank, then you have bigger problems than I have.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 33 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

Why do you care what other people do with their money? If I feel that it's worth 8% APR to carry a balance, it really doesn't affect you. It's not as if I'm asking you to pay my like $1-$3 in interest monthly, but seriously, if $1-$3 is going to break the bank, then you have bigger problems than I have.

I probably have way more problems than you do.  However, this is a credit forum, where we discuss what people do or should do with their money.  People keep creating contrived scenarios to justify their debt and its refreshing that you just spell out, what is true for a lot of people, that you have debt because you don't think it matters one way or the other.  It's small, and you don't mind paying unnecessary interest.  That's what I am saying is happening to a larger scale and you are providing a real life example, thank you for that.  Keep doing whatever you want, if's fine with me.  I am discussing the topic, not you.

Message 34 of 100
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that the thread headline may sound disrespectful, and I apologize for any offense, but I think a blunt, tough message on that one is appropriate. I have been browsing these forums and I have been stunned to see people talking like this as if it is anything other than truly dire circumstances. 

Running a balance on a credit card is digging yourself into a hole. The interest rates are ludicrous.

Anyone who has a balance on their credit card, regardless of how low, should be figuring out how to get rid of that balance this month -- ideally by paying it down, if not, by taking out a loan at a better rate, or remortgaging. Once paid off you should never, ever carry a balance again.

Do people just not know this?

I pay off my credit card balance in full every month. I use the cards because they are a convenient way to pay, and I like earning the rewards points and such, but I would do anything possible to avoid carrying a balance.

People make choices in their lives. A wide range of choices. Just because you decide not to, doesn't mean it is not an appropriate choice. Those choices also derive from circumstances you may not have full knowledge of.

I went through a divorce and started building my own separate credit again. There was never a problem with payments, we just cut up all the joint cards. The banks in the early part of this century were fond of giving high limits and sending out permanent low rate cash advance offers on those high limit cards. I took advantage of them, moving existing balances around to line up such things as $30,000 at 3.99%, on a Forever offer. I ended up with several of these large balances. My high balance was $96,000 in January 2010 on limits of $122k when I resolved to start paying this down, with a little help from Chase changing terms on all those legacy low interest loans to myself and thousands of other people they found they had. My monthly interest that month was $727, or an annualized 9% rate. Included in that open balance is a new 4Runner in 2003, so a form of an auto loan. I take very good care of that vehicle. A used truck for my daughter, a used motorcycle. A huge portion of that open balance was in the form of cash in the bank. Cash advances, well managed, allows one to do that, so the main part of bringing that otherwise scary high balance down was drawing from those reserves.

Due to 0% BT offers, which have been appearing for a year and a half, my monthly interest (exclusive of the periodic 3% or 4% BT fees) is an annualized 3% now. Three of those low interest balances I'm still working down. $102 in December for monthly interest. It's going up a bit because I'm deciding to use some higher interest locations for these balances, but those are temporary.

You are correct that outstanding debt is something to be avoided. I'm able to adjust and am paying this down, and it does affect what I am able to do for the time being. But is my balance any different from someone who takes out vehicle loans? Somewhat, but not too far off from that.

Would I do it again in the same circumstances of 2000 - 2003 that got this started? Yep.

Are you going to change my mind about how CC debt should be handled? nope. I will continue to kite amounts among the 12 to 18 month 0% BT offers that I keep getting. The CCC are convincing me to pay these down faster, due to the feedback on apps that get denied, but I've gotten two good cards and some others in just the past few months.

Am I going to convince you to let a balance report on your CC? I hope not, if that isn't what you want to do, or you only get a card with 15% APR.

The point of my reply is not to change your mind, but to perhaps open your eyes to other possibilities of how things work.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 35 of 100
core
Valued Contributor

Canadian-in-Seattle-

In all seriousness, you really should be glad people carry balances.  The balance-carriers are the ones who pay for all these great services we use.  Without the balance-carriers there wouldn't be any 5% cash back cards.

I want to see much better cash back cards come out this year.  I also want them to be sustainable, unlike some others that have been nerfed.  Therefore I think more people should carry a balance.  Get out those cards and start charging, I say.

Message 36 of 100
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that the thread headline may sound disrespectful, and I apologize for any offense, but I think a blunt, tough message on that one is appropriate. I have been browsing these forums and I have been stunned to see people talking like this as if it is anything other than truly dire circumstances. 

Running a balance on a credit card is digging yourself into a hole. The interest rates are ludicrous.

Anyone who has a balance on their credit card, regardless of how low, should be figuring out how to get rid of that balance this month -- ideally by paying it down, if not, by taking out a loan at a better rate, or remortgaging. Once paid off you should never, ever carry a balance again.

Do people just not know this?

I pay off my credit card balance in full every month. I use the cards because they are a convenient way to pay, and I like earning the rewards points and such, but I would do anything possible to avoid carrying a balance.

Congratulations, you started a your first thread with an attention grabbing generalization that just isn't true.  While your statement is probably true about a large portion of the population I don't know why you would come here to make it.  I have been here a long time and I can assure you that most of the people here either know what they are doing or came here to figure it out.  Head over to daveramsey.com and you can discuss the evils of credit cards while you preach about the snowball method. 

Message 37 of 100
Chris679
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

Canadian-in-Seattle-

In all seriousness, you really should be glad people carry balances.  The balance-carriers are the ones who pay for all these great services we use.  Without the balance-carriers there wouldn't be any 5% cash back cards.

I want to see much better cash back cards come out this year.  I also want them to be sustainable, unlike some others that have been nerfed.  Therefore I think more people should carry a balance.  Get out those cards and start charging, I say.

More profitable credit card companies = better reward cards for me.  It's a win/win. 

Message 38 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not always pretty when someone drops a bomb. I agree with almost everything you said. Just not how you chose to say it.

Message 39 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have every right to your opinion, but you shouldn't insult somebody for making their decisions. You're correct in saying that carrying a balance with interest means that you will end up spending more, but that doesn't necessarily make somebody "financially illiterate."

I have a Nebraska Furniture Mart card that I'm currently carrying a balance on, but I don't pay a penny of interest. I waited until they had a promotion for 0% interest for 2 years and free delivery if you pay with the card. I have more than enough money in my checking account to pay for my new bedroom set in full, but I'd rather keep that money and send NFM $25 every month. Not only have I paid no interest, but I actually saved money because you only get free delivery if you use the store card.

Everybody has their own situation, and there are lots of people in this world with balances that accrue interest. Having to pay interest isn't ideal, but who are you to judge others for what they do?

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can: You might think that paying interest is financially illiterate, but I think that insulting people who use credit cards on a forum about credit cards is socially disfunctional.

Message 40 of 100
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.