cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with USAA CCs in thier siggy can help answer some questions plz?

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Anyone with USAA CCs in thier siggy can help answer some questions plz?

OK I have been a member with them for 10 years or so, I got a secured card from them in Jan as I started my credit repair journey. I called them today to ask a few questions about my next move on getting an unsecured card with them as I am just about ready to do an app as far as my credit and scores go.
Anyway the rep proceeded to go over the cards and standard scores that are needed for each. He told me my best bet would be to apply for the Classic Visa or Rate Advantage for scores around mid 600s. Anyone have any advice on which one I should app for ? Also he asked if I wanted to try today . He told me the score they had on file with them was 553 which was way off , that must of been from when I got the secured card . Anyway I told him I had a few loose ends to tie up and I would try in a couple mths .
He then told me that it would only be a SP when I do apply . It would only turn into a HP if it us denied? Anyone know any truth to this ? It would he nice if it were only a SP for approvals. But I'm very hesitant to believe it.
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone with USAA CCs in thier siggy can help answer some questions plz?

SMH that CSR does not have a clue. It will most definitely be a hp first of all. Secondly, do you know your current Fico EQ or EX score? I've seen USAA pull both they pulled EQ for me. What baddies do you have?
Message 2 of 36
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Yep, always a hard pull. 

Message 3 of 36
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I didn't think he knew wth he was talking about , the CSRs are usually great fro USAA but he must have been new he was studdering like he was nervous .
As of right now both EX and EQ are right around 620s I have one baddie left it's my SL in default , my last rehab payment for that is in a week or so , I was planning to wait for that to get updated bf I apped for anything with them.
Message 4 of 36
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I also want to mention that I believe they are getting ready to change the way they do their secured cards , about 2 weeks ago I got a survey about my card , it asked me about 100 questions on if I thought it would be a good benefit to consumers if their card were to unsecure at some point and so on. Just wanted to add that in for reference, not anything to do with what o was needing to know but thought it maybe useful one day lol
Message 5 of 36
baller4life
Super Contributor

Ok well I was denied twice for USAA cards while rebuilding. It wasn't until I reached 680+ that I was finally approved. So before you burn a hp, I would wait till your scores were higher.
Message 6 of 36
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

OK thanks that's good to know , seems their approvals are hit and miss as I have read alot of ppl approved with lower scores around 600 and then ppl with higher ones being denied . I may not even app with them I was just wanting to weigh my options.
What cards did you get denied and what were you approved for finally ?
Message 7 of 36
baller4life
Super Contributor

I apped Classic a couple times when I was low 600's. Denied. They offered me secured. But, I declined. I already had Cap One and BOA secured and Navy Fed unsecured. So I wasn't feeling another secured. I was finally approved in April for the Cash Rewards Amex $7k.

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok guys its Happy hour in LA, and I'm a bit buzzed so warning - BUZZED RANT!

It really grinds my gears that these companies hire the most idiotic, downright stupid CSRs who are allowed to pass on to us, the consumer, such BS and we are then expected to "take it" and just deal with it.  I find that most every comapany has complete morons for frontline CSRs, but when you get a supervisor/MGR/LO you get the real deal.  It makes me so sick that these billion $ compaines hire these shmoes, who feed us all kinds of BS that can affect our credit, financial lives and the such.  Utterly and downright ridiculous and I would and DO fight to the death over the constant misinformation out there.  TRAIN YOUR PEOPLE or dont hire uneducated ones!!!!  Simple as that.

That said OP, the CSR was full of donkey doo-doo.  You WILL get a HP regardless of approval or denial, the score they have on file for you IS complete poop, I believe a Vantage model or similar, and it is not used in CC apps.  Sorry you happened to get Mr. Magoo on the line, as we often do -- call back and request EXECUTIVE RESOLUTIONS for CC dept - they will give you correct answers :-)  I always bypass frontline now, and i dont really care what people here think of it.  Been fed horrendoulsy wrong info one too many times

That saidm I like USAA (dont LOVE them) and I wish you the best as you proceed OP :-)

Message 9 of 36
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks Joeyzoom416 the whole time he was telling me all that crap I questioned him over and over to make sure he had a chance to correct himself . But he in the end reasured me it was only a SP.
Thank goodess I found this forum back in Jan or I would have completly believed everything he told me without a doubt . Thanks again for your input . CHEERS😊🍻🍷🍹
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.