cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with USAA CCs in thier siggy can help answer some questions plz?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone with USAA CCs in thier siggy can help answer some questions plz?

@bada_bing wrote:

I love USAA for their insurance. My opinion of their credit cards is very Meh. For credit

cards, there are easier approvals for better cards. If it was me, I'd do some research on what's

available in the market before spending a lot of effort for a USAA card. 

Agreed. The only thing I use my CC for is paying my insurance.

Message 31 of 36
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
I will always keep an USAA account and cc. But, they are just not what they once were. And with the random 10 day check holds they started implementing, I would never use them as my primary.

+1

While I've never experienced it personally, I've read enough about their infamous check holds that any time I have a sizable check I simply deposit into Wells Fargo (my secondary account) and do a transfer into USAA from there.  It may be that I have nothing to worry about, but when I have the occasional large check usually those are times that I don't have the luxury of being able to 'test the waters'. 

Notably, I have found that now that I have a credit card with them my limit for instant credit on incoming transfers has increased.  A couple of years ago (before I had their Visa) I transferred $1500 from my Wells checking, and they gave me instant credit for the first $800, and I had to wait a few days for the other $700 (which was OK... I was expecting it).  Fast-forward to a month or so ago and I did a transfer of $1700 from Wells, and USAA gave me instant credit for the entire amount, which was a pleasant surprise.

It may be that I would have no problems with check holds with USAA, but since mobile deposits aren't covered by the time requirements of Reg CC I would be at their mercy, so I have decided going forward to just use Wells Fargo for the occasional large check deposit then do a transfer to USAA.  It's an extra step or two, but there are less unknowns.  Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 36
baller4life
Super Contributor

UncleB so if I initiate the Alliant to USAA transfer from USAA it will be credited instantly rather than next day if initiated at Alliant?
Message 33 of 36
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
UncleB so if I initiate the Alliant to USAA transfer from USAA it will be credited instantly rather than next day if initiated at Alliant?

Mine are... when you do the transfer, before you click the very last button to actually 'commit' (if I recall correctly) it should tell you how much of the incoming transfer will be available immediately, and the date the rest will be available (if applicable).

Before I had my credit card with them the 'instant' amount was only $800... I'm not sure what it is now but I know it's at least $1700.

I don't have large checks that often, but there's a Wells ATM nearby and it's easy-peasy to make the deposit, then immediately do the transfer (from my phone in the parking lot if I want).  Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 36
baller4life
Super Contributor

Haha thx UncleB
Message 35 of 36
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Whenever I do any external transfer I get the money instantly into my account .
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.