cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with airline miles cards? When do miles post?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone with airline miles cards? When do miles post?

I have the United Explorer card. Opened almost a month and a half ago. First statement cut 2 weeks ago and no miles have posted to my account. I always thought miles on airline cards usually posted a few days after your statement cut date. I was thinking maybe it was because I used my old united number on the card application, then a few weeks ago United merged their systems and I have a new number. I was thinking that my miles might be posting to the old nonexistant account but I ate at a mileage plus dining restaurant before the merger with my old number, and the miles have posted to my new number so I know it is probably Chase not posting the miles.

If the miles don't post tomorrow I will just send Chase a message since tomorrow will be exactly 2 weeks from my statement cut date, I have already paid in full.

Hopefully this can be worked out or I am worrying about nothing. Starting to think I should have gone with the capital one Venture instead. Buyers remorse on opening a credit card is not good. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone with airline miles cards? When do miles post?

Most reward and mileage programs post AFTER payment, and that can be delayed by a week or two after the payment date.  First time postings may delay even longer.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 8
aftermath
Established Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Most reward and mileage programs post AFTER payment, and that can be delayed by a week or two after the payment date.  First time postings may delay even longer.

Chase does not require payment in order for miles/points to post.

I have the Chase United Explorer card as well.  I received my bonus miles the same day my statement posted.

Prior to the CO/UA merger, you were required to log in to your account and link your CO and UA accounts, as your CO# would become your new UA#.  If you did not have a CO#, you would automatically be assigned a new one, and I think that is where the delay in receiving your miles is coming from.  The merger and system integration has been very rocky and they probably haven't created a CO# for you yet.

I would actually call up UA instead of Chase and ask them where your points are.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before the merger since I had both a mileage plus and onepass account I logged in to their united hub website where they let you preview what your new account will look like. Logged in with my old mileage plus number, and saw that my onepass number would become my new mileage plus number so my accounts were correctly linked. United has also said mileage credit using the old number would still work for a few months.

I'll try to talk to Chase first. Would rather not talk to United if I can possibly avoid it. I am seeing horror stories on their facebook page of hold times approaching 2 or 3 hours.

Message 4 of 8
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the United Explorer card. Opened almost a month and a half ago. First statement cut 2 weeks ago and no miles have posted to my account. I always thought miles on airline cards usually posted a few days after your statement cut date. I was thinking maybe it was because I used my old united number on the card application, then a few weeks ago United merged their systems and I have a new number. I was thinking that my miles might be posting to the old nonexistant account but I ate at a mileage plus dining restaurant before the merger with my old number, and the miles have posted to my new number so I know it is probably Chase not posting the miles.

If the miles don't post tomorrow I will just send Chase a message since tomorrow will be exactly 2 weeks from my statement cut date, I have already paid in full.

Hopefully this can be worked out or I am worrying about nothing. Starting to think I should have gone with the capital one Venture instead. Buyers remorse on opening a credit card is not good. Smiley Sad

Capital One Venture and United Mileage Plus are not even in the same ballpark. The perks (if you fly United) plus having it backed by Chase blows any Capital One card out of the water. Also, considerign United miles are some of the most valuable IMO, you def shouldn't regret getting this over Capital One. If I lived near a United Hub I would certainly have this card (have a CSP and transfer to United instead though).

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that is why I went with the United card over the Venture. United is my airline of choice and I don't fly enough to be an elite, but fly often enough to where some perks are worth it. Plus the insurance like travel insurance and primary car rental insurance on the Chase visa signature beats out the insurance on the Capital one visa signature by a longshot. Capital one has no perks like club passes and a free bag, and with my yearly spending the only thing I will get out of the venture is 200 dollars of travel rebate a year. I want to use my miles for aspirational awards like the occasional upgrade instead of free flights so the United card is my best bet.

Got a reply back from Chase in a secured message. They said they forwarded my message to the appropriate department and I should hear something back in 3 to 5 business days. Gives me some peace of mind now that they haven't forgot about my 50,000 mile signup bonus. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah that is why I went with the United card over the Venture. United is my airline of choice and I don't fly enough to be an elite, but fly often enough to where some perks are worth it. Plus the insurance like travel insurance and primary car rental insurance on the Chase visa signature beats out the insurance on the Capital one visa signature by a longshot. Capital one has no perks like club passes and a free bag, and with my yearly spending the only thing I will get out of the venture is 200 dollars of travel rebate a year. I want to use my miles for aspirational awards like the occasional upgrade instead of free flights so the United card is my best bet.

Got a reply back from Chase in a secured message. They said they forwarded my message to the appropriate department and I should hear something back in 3 to 5 business days. Gives me some peace of mind now that they haven't forgot about my 50,000 mile signup bonus. Smiley Happy

I kinda of like the cap one venture signature visa, good APR, and the miles post immediately & x2.  Sure I use AMEX primarily, but its not a BAD card if you arent choosing a specific airline.

Message 7 of 8
vincentwelch566
New Visitor

Your reward points will definitely take a months time to get updated in your account.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.