cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything I Can Do to Switch from Chase Slate to Freedom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything I Can Do to Switch from Chase Slate to Freedom?

Hello, this is my first post here.

My issue is sort of related to the "sock drawer" post.  I have a Chase Slate card that I'd like to upgrade to a Chase Freedom card.  A bit about myself:  I have a 738 FICO score as of last month and haven't had a late payment since 2008.  My wife and I have a pretty decent income.  I primarily use an Amex Gold Card, which I've had since 2011.  I run up a $3-4,000 bill per month on my Amex on average.  I don't know what my Amex spending limit is, but I've cranked my Amex charge card up to $10,000 with no issues.  My only Visa/MC credit card is a Chase Slate card with a $2,400 limit.  I first got a Chase card in 2006, which makes this is my oldest account by far.  My first Chase card was something that no longer exists.  Chase involuntarily moved me into a Slate card in 2011.  Long story short, Chase slashed my credit limit on this card to $300 when I closed a Chase checking account and opened a Schwab checking account five years ago.  To paraphrase the Chase CSR, it was retaliation for closing my Chase checking account.  The credit limit on the Chase Slate card has gradually increased to $2,400 over the years, but I still only use this card when a merchant doesn't take Amex.  It doesn't offer me any useful benefits because I don't carry balances.  I've called Chase twice to switch this card to a Freedom card, but they shot me down both times.  I really lit into the Chase CSR and his manager about an hour ago to no avail.  My wife and I want a Visa/MC card that has a useful rewards or cash back program with no annual fees.  

Are there any buttons that I can push with Chase to get Chase to convert my Slate card to the Freedom card?  If I can't get this account changed to a Freedom card, should I apply for a Freedom card and close my Slate card account?  Or would it be better to "sock drawer" my Slate card?  Thanks for any recommendations that you might have.

P.S.  Chase is the worst!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anything I Can Do to Switch from Chase Slate to Freedom?

Just from reading these forums, this is not personal experience, I believe you can all and request it. 

Or if worse comes to worse, app for the Freedom, get approved then move the limit over.

Message 2 of 26
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

If history repeats itself last year chase offered a 200 dollar bonus instead of the normal 100 dollar bonus in June. I would personally wait till then to app for the card (unless you really want it now). After you get approved, ask to close the slate and move the limit to your freedom. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was able to convert my mom's slate to freedom card without any problems. was a 1 minute phone call. 

Message 4 of 26
sultan33g
Contributor

My wife Was able to switch her slate to freedom without any issues. This is also after us having issues with paying down the balance. So it seems like you're in a sticky situation.
01/14/2015 Scores: EQ: 646 TU:667 EX: 663
03/23/15 Scores: EQ: 716 TU: 778 EX: 721

Goal Scores: 750

Message 5 of 26
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i was able to convert my mom's slate to freedom card without any problems. was a 1 minute phone call. 

Yes but the problem is your missing out on the bonus plus i believe you dont get the AU bonus which is another 25. So i guess the op has to ask himself is a hp worth more than 125 or 225 dollars and a higher credit line...

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You can certainly PC it assuming you've had it open long enough (I think it has to be a year).

You'll miss out on a bonus but honestly I wouldn't exactly fret over $100. ($125 if you have an AU)

You can apply for the Freedom to get the bonus, but you're taking a new HP and dinging your AAOA in the process. For me personally that's not worth 100 bucks but it depends.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

to me chase is the best! Smiley Very Happy just call them .. you need to call the CSP line 

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can PC to Freedom but you won't get that sign up bonus. I think you should keep your Slate card until Chase has $200 sign up bonus then transfer you Slate limit to your new Freedom card.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

to me chase is the best! Smiley Very Happy just call them .. you need to call the CSP line 

What is the CSP line?  I called Chase's 1-800 number for personal credit cards.  Neither the CSR nor the CSR's manager would switch my Slate card to the Freedom card.  They said there needed to be a product switch offer, but weren't sure when the next product switch offer would come up and weren't sure if I'd ever qualify to switch.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.