cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apart of the Amex Club Now!

tag
jslopez3

Re: Apart of the Amex Club Now!

Congrats and Welcome to the "Club"!!  AMEX green was the first card I got back when I was turning 20 and has been with me ever since early 1980's (Eventually sas Centurion but I dumped the black card a few years ago when they got rid of some of the benefits and upped the fee. Now its just a plain old Platinum...) I have had a love hate relationship with AMEX over the years but by and by, the AMEX charge has been the mainstay of my spending. I also have a business Platinum and between the 2 cards almost all my spending goes through them. If you develop good habits with them now while your are young, it will be a powerful financial tool over the years. Again, congrats and welcome to the club.

Want to add me as an authorized user so I can backdate? Smiley Wink Just kidding

Message 11 of 17
guydiver
Established Contributor

Congrats, and welcome to the forums.  Lots to learn on here, I have two books I received as gifts and haven't cracked them open yet. This place can be so addictive!

Message 12 of 17
winstars
Regular Contributor

@jslopez3 wrote:

Thanks! I'm actually majoring in Accounting right now, and so in 2 years I'll hopefully become a CPA and teach people a few things about money. right now, I do try to teach the people that apply through me a thing or two. I strongly encourage them not to carry a balance and to just use the card to get 15, 20, or 30% off, and they seriously don't believe me. They swear that I'm the devil trying to screw them over in interest, and so I get told off a lot, but theres always someone who thanks me for the help. Every now and then I see the customer who comes in, gets an amazing deal, charges it on the card like the coupon makes them, and then turns around and gives me a cash payment. Makes me smile. Smiley Happy (On a side note, I get these customers who want to make the minimum payment with another credit card, It makes me cringe when they ask if it's possible. Which no, its not.)

I don't like I get in trouble for saying it, since I'm not really talking about anyone in particular... The lowest limits that Kohls give it $300, and the max is $1000. I've only seen 300,500 and 1000 with capital one. Before with Chase, they would go up to like $2500 I believe.

I'm just scared of the dreaded FR from AMEX. I don't have anything to hide, but from everything I read its a pain in the butt and a waste of time. Hopefully my Mcdonalds, walmart, and bookstore purchases won't trigget anything! ha.

CPA, you already sound like one!!!

FR wise, don't sweat it. We here at myfico are actually not a perfect crossection of AMEX members. FR's do happen for sure but the real % of members that get FR'ed I bet is very small. And if they do its just paperwork as long as you were on the up and up app wise.

And I don't think they expect a kid NOT to go to Micky Dee's. I think if you went to Neiman Marcus however, THAT might raise a flag. 

Enjoy your life!!!

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 17
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Nice to see someone else who wanted to start building credit as soon as possible. I got my first AmEx at 18, as well, and now at 21, I hold two AmEx-issued cards, and two AmEx-cobranded cards (Bank of America and Citi). 

For 18, you're out to a great start! Smiley Happy

And nice to meet someone else with interests in Accounting. I hold a Bachelors in Business Management/Accounting, and am currently going for another Bachelors in Finance/Economics. Smiley Happy

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 14 of 17
jslopez3

@JMN wrote:

And nice to meet someone else with interests in Accounting. I hold a Bachelors in Business Management/Accounting, and am currently going for another Bachelors in Finance/Economics. Smiley Happy

I had to make the hard choice last week when I spoke to my counsoler. I couldn't do a minor, and a double major didn't seem worth it in my opinon, so I just stuck with Accounting. I plan on going for a MBA w/ a concentration in Finance from UT Austin though. Thing is, I have no idea if they'll accept me as a 20 year old straight out of college. Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 17
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Congrats !

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet, UT Austin is a great coice and I'm not just saying that because I live here......and that's a great field to be in as well....good luck!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.