Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Shopping!!

tag
Amexit

Re: App Shopping!!

@TheFate wrote:

Is the $175 annual fee worth it?

And is a charge card still looked at as a credit card as far as Fico's concerned?

Well in 2012 I had FICO's between 590 and 620.

The two capital one cards in my wallet.

I got the gold card and used it for everything I could that I would normally spend for everyday.

My credit is a little better now.  I've one 30 day late car payment in 2008 and did nothing but use that card primarily and keep the capital one cards linked up to a couple bills per month.  I don't think Amex cares how much you spend over how much you swipe the card.

I spent between $1k to $8k/month on it and the rewards were good so the $175 was worth it.

FICO's 07/07/2014 EQ 725 EX 727 TU 724
Message 21 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

just one thing to keep in mind about prg i think it still has FTF for international use , so if you travel an lot internatinally you may want to find an non ftf card. There are even an fee no af options, like Cap one cards, no af arrival, boa travel rewards etc. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 22 of 25
Amexit

@TheFate wrote:

Is the $175 annual fee worth it?

And is a charge card still looked at as a credit card as far as Fico's concerned?

and I'm not a credit expert or anything but I'm pretty sure the card is looked at as a credit card because the bureaus took the highest amount that I ever spent ($8,000) and used it like a CL that was used against whatever my balance was when Amex reported.

Once I learned when Amex reports I made sure it was paid off a couple days before that.

I also believe that once other creditors see that you have an Amex charge and stay in good standing it influences their decision to give you the credit you want.

Message 23 of 25
Amexit

@mongstradamus wrote:

just one thing to keep in mind about prg i think it still has FTF for international use , so if you travel an lot internatinally you may want to find an non ftf card. There are even an fee no af options, like Cap one cards, no af arrival, boa travel rewards etc. 

It does Smiley Sad

Message 24 of 25
TheFate
Established Contributor

I'm no expert aswell but I would think of how fico looks at it you would build a score with a card that reports the amount of credit available/ usage of that credit. I'm thinking that doesen't happen with charge cards unless you revolve or don't pay the charges within the required time

But thats not to say you still don't benefit from the really great rewards and not to mention it could open the door to AMEX for a great credit card

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.