Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree After Mortgage Funded

tag
dave0311
Established Member

App Spree After Mortgage Funded

I'm currently in the process of buying a house, so I don't dare go on any credit card sites right now! But on settlement day, after the mortgage papers are signed, there are a few credit cards I want to apply for. I'm looking at the Citi Dividend Platinum Select, Chase Amazon, and maybe another Amex for backdating.

My question is, will all the inquiries I've gotten the past couple weeks affect my CC apps? My scores should still be high enough that I'll be able to qualify for all the cards, but I'm just not sure if having several inquiries within a couple weeks will hurt my chances of getting approved. Anyone ever get approvals after house shopping?

Also, does anyone know just how soon after I sign the mortgage papers would it be safe to start apping? Do banks do a soft pull after the mortgage is signed? I wouldn't think so, but I'm so paranoid about getting the mortgage right now!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: App Spree After Mortgage Funded

Congrats on your impending closing. Depending on what state you are in, mortgage companies will pull a Tri merge right before the deed is recorded. Ie Ca is an escrow state so CR's and employment verification will be done the day of recording. Once your deed is recorded your are good to go.

As far as apping with your inq's your CSs are excellent so you should not have a problem but if you do, a recon to explain the inq's should suffice.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 10
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Congrats on the house.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Congrats on the house.

Smiley Happy

Might be time for a lowes / HD card!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on closing of your home.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 5 of 10
cclee
Regular Contributor

I closed in March, had to buy a car the next week, so had quite a few inquires before even getting to new CC's, app'd 3 this week and was approved for all 3, going to garden now.

In The Garden Until 11/01/15 - Last App 11/03/13
Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dave0311 wrote:

I'm currently in the process of buying a house, so I don't dare go on any credit card sites right now! But on settlement day, after the mortgage papers are signed, there are a few credit cards I want to apply for. I'm looking at the Citi Dividend Platinum Select, Chase Amazon, and maybe another Amex for backdating.

My question is, will all the inquiries I've gotten the past couple weeks affect my CC apps? My scores should still be high enough that I'll be able to qualify for all the cards, but I'm just not sure if having several inquiries within a couple weeks will hurt my chances of getting approved. Anyone ever get approvals after house shopping?

Also, does anyone know just how soon after I sign the mortgage papers would it be safe to start apping? Do banks do a soft pull after the mortgage is signed? I wouldn't think so, but I'm so paranoid about getting the mortgage right now!

Thanks!

Congrats on a successful home process and once those papers are signed the bank can SP all they want but they don't so don't be paranoid you will be fine.

Find cards that best suit your lifestyle to go along with those nice cards you already have and whatever they don't cover.

Fill in the gaps

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Congrat to your new home...That's what im going to do when i first close my house ......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 10
rg23
Established Member

Congrats on the new home ..I was paranoid, I waited till I had keys in hand, then I hit best buy, lowes, and Ashley that afternoon. Approved for all, small amount but have grown since (August 12')
LOWES-25K|CSP-15K|DISCOVER-15K|BARCLAYS-13K|AMEXEDP-30K|CITI-11.2K|BBMC-10K|WALMART-10K|CAP1Q.S.-5K|NORDSTROM 8K|FNBO AMEX 4K

FICO EQ08 743TU08 741EX08 753
Message 9 of 10
cclee
Regular Contributor

Just a warning, not all lenders do it, but mine did, they did a soft pull the day the mortgage funded but did warn me ahead of time that they would be doing it and not to apply for any new credit until it was completely done and funded.

In The Garden Until 11/01/15 - Last App 11/03/13
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.