Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree? Consider this

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree? Consider this

What's AA by lenders? What could possibly happen if they AA you and see all the new accounts?
Message 21 of 60
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
What's AA by lenders? What could possibly happen if they AA you and see all the new accounts?

It means Adverse Action. Honestly, it is pretty rare. One of the AA's you hear about the most, when it actually does happen, is when a lender soft pulls your CR and sees multiple new tradelines and gives a CLD (Credit Limit Decrease)

Message 22 of 60
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thanks! I have learned something. So if someone got a CLD, in what way would he/she be affected? Is just the util?
Message 23 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
Thanks! I have learned something. So if someone got a CLD, in what way would he/she be affected? Is just the util?

In most situations, just the utilization.

It usually will drop one's score pretty significantly (about 50-100 points, depends.....). The increase in utilization sometimes raises a red flag in other bank's systems as well, which may be simply because the customer has went above the utilization threshold they have set. As such, sometimes other banks may follow on with their AA as well, which kinda is like a domino reaction. YMMV though. It's always best to diversify to minimize the chances of this from happening.

Another thing to add to the topic:

Look at your CR. If there are major derogs on file, or recent minor derogs (such as 30 day lates. Most banks consider recent as past 12-36 months, depending on bank), it's best to avoid app sprees as well. It's not really a good idea to add a lot of inquiries and/or new accounts on top of an already blemished report. Sometimes it may just make things a lot worse.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 60
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

In most situations, just the utilization.

It usually will drop one's score pretty significantly (about 50-100 points, depends.....). The increase in utilization sometimes raises a red flag in other bank's systems as well, which may be simply because the customer has went above the utilization threshold they have set. As such, sometimes other banks may follow on with their AA as well, which kinda is like a domino reaction. YMMV though. It's always best to diversify to minimize the chances of this from happening.

Another thing to add to the topic:

Look at your CR. If there are major derogs on file, or recent minor derogs (such as 30 day lates. Most banks consider recent as past 12-36 months, depending on bank), it's best to avoid app sprees as well. It's not really a good idea to add a lot of inquiries and/or new accounts on top of an already blemished report. Sometimes it may just make things a lot worse.

When AMEX AA'd me in 2010 and closed my card, Chase did a CLD from $5000 TO $3400. I have no doubt it was because amex had closed my account. I cannot remember the score drop, but I remember it was a decent amount. 

Message 25 of 60
watch44
Frequent Contributor

new member, check.

120+ day lates reporting, check. (tho 5 years out)

Denial, check.

APP spree, check.

But you have to believe me, I don't even like shopping. I've been a hardcore checkbook budgeter for the past 5 years, and I am NOT getting into the credit hole ever again. I just kind of got sucked into this new game I found of racking up my credit points. I'm sorry if I'm being a bad influence! Cat Sad

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 26 of 60
Luscher
Valued Contributor

never worry about AA or FR. People that dont come to this site never even hear about it and dont worry about it. The only reason it is a scare on this site is because people talk about it way too much
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 27 of 60
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

new member, check.

120+ day lates reporting, check. (tho 5 years out)

Denial, check.

APP spree, check.

But you have to believe me, I don't even like shopping. I've been a hardcore checkbook budgeter for the past 5 years, and I am NOT getting into the credit hole ever again. I just kind of got sucked into this new game I found of racking up my credit points. I'm sorry if I'm being a bad influence! Cat Sad

You are not a bad influence at all, lol. I was more talking about people who are currently 120+ days behond on their debts applying for credit. Not 5 year old baddies.

The credit hole can be quite danergous but it is only dangerous if you charge up more than you have in cash. I cannot remember the last time I charged something I could not PIF once it posted. I use my cards for the extra protection on larger purchases. That is what is excellent about this forum. There are so many people with different experiences and can help you stay on course. 

Message 28 of 60
93stallion302

I apped for boa because I bank with them. Heard good things about them. Figured I would have the best chance of approval.
Discover it because I have only heard good things about it.
I got the citi simplicity for the apr in comparison to what I had.
The citi thank you proffered just because it showed up on citi website when I checked for prequal.
Then I hit Barclays for the ring card but got denied so I stopped there. Recon two times but no go due to high balance on a card.

Gardening Until 3/31/14
Message 29 of 60
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I happened to stumble across the entertaining "App Spree" Logic..help me understand this. the other day. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.