Did you mean: 

App Spree? Consider this

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: App Spree? Consider this

@enharu wrote:

@jeffg330 wrote:
This has been a very influential and informative thread for me. I'm about 2 months away from 12 months no apps, and have been planning a December app spree, just for the sake of getting some of the cards I'm seeing others get 😏. After reading through here I've decided I have enough cards for my current needs, and now plan on holding out until dec 2014 to maybe add another card with 2 years of no apps....well except a walmart card for the free TU score and I shop there all the time.

You can always ask for a CLI on the cards you use a lot. That way, those cards won't always seem like they're on the verge of getting maxed out.

That is what I am trying to do insead of adding cards. I'm really pulling for those SP CLIs 

Message 41 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

This is good info for everyone and worth reading the entire thread

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 42 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

Bump 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 43 of 60
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

This is good info for everyone and worth reading the entire thread

Absolutely!

Message 44 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

BUMP FOR GOOD INFO

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 45 of 60
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

This is great advice, thank you for this thread. I'm new here and I recently went on a app spree. It all started when I applied for a Discover card and was approved. I have NEVER been able to get approved for ANY major cards since I had a baddie with Chase when I was 18. The feeling I got when I was approved made me want more and more. Now I have more credit than I have ever had and I'm happy about that because now I can start the building process. However, I applied for WAY too many cards. I applied for cards I should have known I would never be approved for but applied for them anyway. I'm completely in the garden as of now and at this point I'm just hoping I don't get AA'ed and they take everything away from me. I have my sights on 2 cards now (Marriott Premire, Southwest) and I will be completely satisfied. There is no way I can get these cards as of right now and I won't be trying for a LONG time. Thanks again for this thread, it has helped me come down off my "credit high". I hope everyone takes the advice of this thread, wish it would have been posted 2 weeks ago.

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 46 of 60
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jbb2788 wrote:

This is great advice, thank you for this thread. I'm new here and I recently went on a app spree. It all started when I applied for a Discover card and was approved. I have NEVER been able to get approved for ANY major cards since I had a baddie with Chase when I was 18. The feeling I got when I was approved made me want more and more. Now I have more credit than I have ever had and I'm happy about that because now I can start the building process. However, I applied for WAY too many cards. I applied for cards I should have known I would never be approved for but applied for them anyway. I'm completely in the garden as of now and at this point I'm just hoping I don't get AA'ed and they take everything away from me. I have my sights on 2 cards now (Marriott Premire, Southwest) and I will be completely satisfied. There is no way I can get these cards as of right now and I won't be trying for a LONG time. Thanks again for this thread, it has helped me come down off my "credit high". I hope everyone takes the advice of this thread, wish it would have been posted 2 weeks ago.

It's a thread worth repeating for any folks who need some guidance and to relate the experiences from others who have benefited from such great advice.

Message 47 of 60
k0csi
Valued Member

Just for conversation sake then .... we'll see what the opinion of my small "spree" is.  I basically haven't applied for many cards lately that I didn't have a game plan for though.  I got AmEx BCE for daily spending (groceries/gas primarily) in August.  The signup bonus was nice once I got that too.  I had a Chase Amazon Visa that I got Sept of last year when shopping on Amazon, primarily at the time just to get the $30 off and I had no other real credit cards so figured what they hey.  I never used it.  It now has become my secondary card for restaurants/Amazon obviously and sometimes gas.  So, my idea is to maximize rewards between those cards on the expenses I would have anyways.  I got a BoA BankAmericard in September to consolidate a couple other debts I had on a Ford Service Card and Goodyear Card that were ready to hit the end of deferred interest; I have since paid that down by over 50% in the last couple months anyways.  Once that is paid off, I don't think I'll have much use for the BoA card though unfortunately (it also is my hightest CL after a CLI Smiley Sad ).  So, I no longer revolve any balances on my two primary cards, just use them for their rewards and then pay off.

Now, on either saturday or sunday I decided I wanted a Discover It to take advantage of the 5% categories throughout the year.  Was this a stupid decision or does it make sense?  After that card (not in my signature yet) I believe I'll have all the cards I need/want.

Another question, I realize this could be a thread of it's own, but everyone also preaches PIF but what about w/ promotional financing such as through Best Buy?  If I buy a TV and get 36M no interest, isn't it worth it to take advantage of the financing?  Likewise, on my Ford Card, and service over $199 is 6-mo no interest.  Just seems stupid to PIF absolutely all the time if you aren't losing anything to interest anyways?  Provided you make the appropriate payments responsibly.

Regardless, I too am glad I found this site.  It's helped guide me into good decisions as I start my adventure into more credit.  Being only 26, I don't have extensive history, but I have been lucky enough to have gotten into credit early on in life which seems to have helped me a lot too.  I think I have something like 26 total accounts (including closed auto loans and student loans).

9-11-13 FICO EQ: 726 - Current EQ FICO: 735 - Goal: 800

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Goodyear Service - $2000, Ford Service $2000, Discovery Furniture $8000
Message 48 of 60
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@k0csi

A successful spree involves approvals as well as cc's that are beneficial for the applicant. Apping, just for the sake of apping without thinking how the card can be used or having little to no knowledge of the cards benefits IMO is not smart. It happens and far too often the applicant is not getting the true benefit of a good spree. Wouldn't it be wiser to save those HP's for well thought out cc's? That being said, your spree appears to be useful to you and that's all that matters.

There is nothing wrong with 0% promos or 0% APR for BTs. It's when a person has multiple cc's under the aforementioned categories, carrying those balances from one card to another while paying minimum payments and making new charges and time catches up to them. The 0% period is over and now they have multiple cards with balances and the low 0% has shot up to 20+%
Message 49 of 60
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

A successful spree involves approvals as well as cc's that are beneficial for the applicant. Apping, just for the sake of apping without thinking how the card can be used or having little to no knowledge of the cards benefits IMO is not smart. It happens and far too often the applicant is not getting the true benefit of a good spree.

But is there such a thing as the true benefit of a good spree? It's not like inquiries don't take place in real time. And does it really matter if they fall off at exactly the same time?

There is nothing wrong with 0% promos or 0% APR for BTs. It's when a person has multiple cc's under the aforementioned categories, carrying those balances from one card to another while paying minimum payments and making new charges and time catches up to them. The 0% period is over and now they have multiple cards with balances and the low 0% has shot up to 20+%

They sit around in their homes for the rest of their lives fading away, and then they die like an overlooked houseplant. That's so depressing!

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.