cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree Time..?

tag
stefjay

App Spree Time..?

Alright So i've been on the road to rebuilding my credit since the beginning of this year. I have one card that I currently use, Cap One (AF) with a $500CL. Other than that I have a BestBuy store card that gets used rarely with a $1000CL,and an Express Store Card with a $250CL that I NEVER used, not even sure why I applied. You can see my currenty score below in my sig. My question is when is it time to start ditching these low CL rebuilder cards and start applying for something a little better that I can actually use and completley abandon my Debit Card? I haven't had a Credit inquiry in over a year.. At this point all my card have a 0 balance, Cap one was paid off this morning actually Smiley Happy

My monthly spending limit is somewhere in the $1000 a month range, depending on if I travel and what not. My ultimate goal is to acquire an Amex Gold and be done with credit however I don't think my credit will get me there yet. I'd just really like to get away from using my debit card altogether.

Starting Score: MyFico: EQ 622 (3/2012)
Current Score: MyFico : EQ 734 - TU 741 - EX 747 (11/2014)
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree Time..?

i was approved for a amex bce and green with a ex score of 676 and from what ive read here if you qualify for the green you pretty much qualify for all of them...just go for it. some people say you need history with amex to be a approved for their more prime cards but i didnt have any and was approved..

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want the Amex Gold, I think you should just go ahead and go for it.  I think you stand a good chance of approval.  Amex charge cards aren't actually that hard to qualify for.

Message 3 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

with 667 Barclay is good option too.

I would not however call Express or Best Buy Store card Rebuilder Cards!

Express can grow to $2,740.00

Best Buy can go over $30,000!

But I agree with Amex Gold, and if instant approval then go for a revolver of choice, won't effect you if not approved.

Message 4 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex has a link on their site that'll let you see if any pre-approvals exist.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Amex has a link on their site that'll let you see if any pre-approvals exist.

For Amex they don't really seem to be very good to base your decision on.

Message 6 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

@stefjay wrote:

Alright So i've been on the road to rebuilding my credit since the beginning of this year. I have one card that I currently use, Cap One (AF) with a $500CL. Other than that I have a BestBuy store card that gets used rarely with a $1000CL,and an Express Store Card with a $250CL that I NEVER used, not even sure why I applied. You can see my currenty score below in my sig. My question is when is it time to start ditching these low CL rebuilder cards and start applying for something a little better that I can actually use and completley abandon my Debit Card? I haven't had a Credit inquiry in over a year.. At this point all my card have a 0 balance, Cap one was paid off this morning actually Smiley Happy

My monthly spending limit is somewhere in the $1000 a month range, depending on if I travel and what not. My ultimate goal is to acquire an Amex Gold and be done with credit however I don't think my credit will get me there yet. I'd just really like to get away from using my debit card altogether.

Why don't you let your history age and apply when your score is over 700?  You'd have a lot more options fior better cards and higher CLs and lower APRs.  What's the rush?  You've been rebuilding for all of seven months now.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 7 of 17
stefjay

I've actually recieved two letters in the mail for amex green & gold. I've also done the Amex pre-selector eariler today and it said I was pre-selected for Gold, Green, and Blue.

Just trying to get a card that I can actually utilize, no rush Smiley Happy

Starting Score: MyFico: EQ 622 (3/2012)
Current Score: MyFico : EQ 734 - TU 741 - EX 747 (11/2014)
Goal Score: 750+

Message 8 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@stefjay wrote:

Why don't you let your history age and apply when your score is over 700?  You'd have a lot more options fior better cards and higher CLs and lower APRs.  What's the rush?  You've been rebuilding for all of seven months now.  

+1

It's the plan/route I'm taking. 

Go here to see where you stand against others (YMMW)

www.whogavemecredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@stefjay wrote:

+1

It's the plan/route I'm taking. 

Go here to see where you stand against others (YMMW)

www.whogavemecredit.com

+1

Good plan!  Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.