Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree & Closing Credit Card Questions

tag
spudbro
Valued Member

App Spree & Closing Credit Card Questions

So I went on an app spree yesterday after all 3 of my secured credit cards hit the 6-7 month mark.

I was approved for the following:

1.) AMEX Platinum

2.) Amex Gold Cash Rewards

3.) Chase Sapphire Preferred 6k Limit

4.) Chase Freedom 5k Limit

5.) Capital One- 500 dollar Limit (LOL at capital one)

So my questions are the following:

1.) Should I call capital one and tell them I do not want the 500 dollar card?

2.) I opened a 3k secured card on 04/12 with capital one. Should I close this?

3.) I opened a 1,200 dollar secured card on 05/12 with bank of america. Should I close this?

4.) I opened a 1,200 dollar secured card on 05/12 with applied bank. Should I close this?

Definitely done apping for anything for a while.

Please let me know!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree & Closing Credit Card Questions

Amex Gold Cash Rewards? I think you mean PRG.

You most likely applied "average credit" version of the card (which hands out low limit and high APR). Keep the card for now.

Keep this card for now.

3.) I opened a 1,200 dollar secured card on 05/12 with bank of america. Should I close this?

Close this card.

4.) I opened a 1,200 dollar secured card on 05/12 with applied bank. Should I close this?

Close this card.

Message 2 of 11
spudbro
Valued Member

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Amex Gold Cash Rewards? I think you mean PRG. Correct PRG.

You most likely applied "average credit" version of the card (which hands out low limit and high APR). Keep the card for now.

Keep this card for now.

Close this card.

Close this card.

Thanks for the tips on the others. Curious though are you saying I should keep the capital one secured because of the limit or why?

Message 3 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I'd keep one secured card open just so you can build more payment history as you just got 6 new card. Capital One secured is better than BofA and Applied.

Message 4 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

To play safe : I would continue to keep the account for at a year or two then at the end of the year call those secured Credit Cards company and see if they can waive the fees . Keep everything for at least a years or two years on time payment would be always better.....just my opinion...

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 11
spudbro
Valued Member

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I'd keep one secured card open just so you can build more payment history as you just got 6 new card. Capital One secured is better than BofA and Applied.

Should I ask chase to consolidate the freedom and sapphire preffered so I have 1 card (CSP) with an 11k limit?

Message 6 of 11
swpopham
Established Contributor

I would close all the cap one cards, close the boa and keep the chase and amex cards. Leave chase separate for the benefits and tradeline
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 7 of 11
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 8 of 11
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Wow those are some nice cards. Congrats ! Smiley Happy . You can try calling Cap1 for a CLI before you decide to close it.  Good luck! 

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 9 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@spudbro wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Should I ask chase to consolidate the freedom and sapphire preffered so I have 1 card (CSP) with an 11k limit?

Do you want 5% rotating category from Freedom?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.