Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree?

tag
Mark_MM
Established Member

App Spree?

Hi guys,
I have a 2 years and 3 months credit history with an average age of accounts being 1 year.

One auto loan (its the oldest account, opened 8/10)
cap1 card $500 limit (opened 4/12)
both account never missed payments and in good standing
2 hard inquiries

TU & EX - 2  unpaid medical collections

TU 688, EQ 715 both FICO

I always pay off cap1 every month and let an under 9% balance post. I held off with opening any other cars until I could get into prime territory. I’ve been getting pre-approvals in the mail, sup-prime and now prime. I applied the chase freedom one that I got last week, was approved for 5k limit, took the offer and got the card today(did not activate it yet).

I would like to add a few more cards to my mix. Should I apply now since my average age of account is 1 year, and it won’t go any lower? and if so, should I apply first before activating me new card? Ideally I’m looking for cards that would give a high CLI or have the potential.

Currently I have sitting on my desk pre-approvals that interest me for:
First National Bank Omaha
Walmart (is it good to have a store card in the mix?)

My other thoughts where apping for either, bofa, amex, citi

I figure add another card or two to the mix, then go into garding mode for the rest of the year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: App Spree?

I'd suggest posting what your spending pattern is, and we'll be better able to give you advice.  If you're able to get a Chase Freedom for 5K and your posted scores, you're in good standing for many other cards in the current market; however, without knowing what your needs are, we'll just be giving non-optimal ideas.

        
Message 2 of 8
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Once the chase hits won't your average age of accounts be less than one year? If that's the case id app now if you're going to. I'd wait though

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 3 of 8
Mark_MM
Established Member

Thanks for the replies.

Revelate,

I spend between 2k –2.5k a month, planning on spending an extra $900 this month, thinking about throwing it on chase then pif.

E150GY,

I figured if I’m going to do it, I better do it now before my reports show a new account. I keep gong back and forth since I know I’ll take a huge hit from opening open new accounts. I’m trying to figure out the best game plan looking at what’s going to help in long termSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

What I meant in addition to that was what you're spending the money on, and a swag of how much on any given category as well.  My apologies for not making that clear.

Groceries?  Restaurants?  Clothes?  Etc.?

Different cards have different reward structures, and also different cards have different AF's which only are justified by a certain spending level.  Shopping for cards in the traditional prime credit strata is pretty much like outlining a budget, and then seeing what cards are reasonable for your spending pattern.

        
Message 5 of 8
Mark_MM
Established Member

Thanks Revelate,

Most of the spending is on general bills. I do go out to restaurants serval times in a given  month( maybe spend a couple hundred on that). Ideally like cards without an af.

Message 6 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Also - feel free to activate the card. That won't impact your credit report at all. My Chase Freedom reported after the first statement cut, so if you have the same experience you have approximately 20 days before it starts reporting on your credit bureau. Until then, other leaders don't know you have that card.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

Dont' app for anything besides a Chase card now, try to get something like Freedom or Sapphire Preferred cause they primarily check EQ, now you need to pay off your medical collections for a really successful app spree, but remember to google whychats hippa process I can't go into it further on this forum but it's a sure fire method to remove PAID medical collections off your reports.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.