Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree

tag
quicksilver185
Valued Member

App Spree

Hello everyone needed some feedback. I am currently rebuilding credit, my scores across the board are between 550-565. I finally worked up the courage to do some apping. I was approved for a JcPenny Card 500 CL and Tires Plus card 1200 CL. I am looking to get a actual visa or master card, should I just go with a secured card to increase my chances of approval or an unsecured? If so which cards would be the recommended both secured and unsecured? I dont want to waste an inq only to get denied right now. Thanks for all the help.

Starting Score: 409 2/1/2011
Current Score: Equifax 559 12/1/2011 TransUnion 569 12/1/2011
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mgeorges
Valued Member

Re: App Spree

@quicksilver185 wrote:

Hello everyone needed some feedback. I am currently rebuilding credit, my scores across the board are between 550-565. I finally worked up the courage to do some apping. I was approved for a JcPenny Card 500 CL and Tires Plus card 1200 CL. I am looking to get a actual visa or master card, should I just go with a secured card to increase my chances of approval or an unsecured? If so which cards would be the recommended both secured and unsecured? I dont want to waste an inq only to get denied right now. Thanks for all the help.

With scores that low the only bank i could think of is Credit One or Orchard Bank.

Message 2 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@quicksilver185 wrote:

Try the pre-qual sites on Orchard Bankd and Capital One. But as always YMMV.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@quicksilver185 wrote:

Try the pre-qual sites on Orchard Bankd and Capital One. But as always YMMV.

+1

If not prequalified, garden wit hthe current cards for 6 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

When my scores were similar, I opened an Orchard Visa. It had a $500 CL. Really high AF ($79) and 15.9% APR. I think Orchard is a great re-builder, and certainly better than Credit One or First Premier (similar rebuilder cards). I don't think Orchard uses a hard pull when you open an account with them.

You could try Capital One, too. They have a pre-approval site to see what cards they've pre-qualified you for.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 5 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@quicksilver185 wrote:

Have you tried a cap one? or even a BOA secured?

Message 6 of 11
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

when i was in rebuilding mode i got the 1st preimer and it took me almost 2.5 years to finally get normal cc's. i was able to get a bunch the past 8 months with the best one being so far is the zync with npsl and my jared card with a cl of 2500. it took me a long time and a bunch of money because i had to pay more because they were charged off. but i finally got to where i am happy. just give it time it will happen. maybe fix ur credit reports first and make sure everything is reporting the right way and that u dont have alot of baddies on it

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@JustMe77 wrote:

When my scores were similar, I opened an Orchard Visa. It had a $500 CL. Really high AF ($79) and 15.9% APR. I think Orchard is a great re-builder, and certainly better than Credit One or First Premier (similar rebuilder cards). I don't think Orchard uses a hard pull when you open an account with them.

You could try Capital One, too. They have a pre-approval site to see what cards they've pre-qualified you for.

Orchard = Hard pull EQ for me.

Edit: they did approve me with said 561 EQ score for an unsecured card, but I have to say there's some drawbacks with tiny limits and ACH transfer times for them.  Think will likely continue to run my life through my secured cards with higher limits just for the convenience factor.

        
Message 8 of 11
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@JustMe77 wrote:

Edit: they did approve me with said 561 EQ score for an unsecured card, but I have to say there's some drawbacks with tiny limits and ACH transfer times for them.  Think will likely continue to run my life through my secured cards with higher limits just for the convenience factor.

Orchard and Cap One are pretty much your only choices with FICOs in that area, no one else is going to give you an unsecured card so it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do to rebuild.

In hindsight, 5 months ago I cancelled a Cap One card with a 39 AF and a 500 limit. I had gotten the card in April, not knowing that I could get better. I called them, told them that 500 just isn't cutting it for me, I have a history with you that's all good and good scores, what can you do for me, and they did nothing. I mean, nothing. If they couldn't give me a CLI on that card, I just don't really understand why they didn't say look with your scores you could probably get a Venture or our new 1.5% Cash Rewards card and tried to PC me, or just suggested I apply for it. But they didn't. It's like, they really didn't care. I guess I will never understand their business model, because I'm not capable of understanding it, and I'm glad we have other companies out there that have been much better to do business with.

I will say they are good to rebuild with, in their defense. I just can't say much else for them.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 9 of 11
DonDraper
Established Member

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@JustMe77 wrote:

Orchard and Cap One are pretty much your only choices with FICOs in that area, no one else is going to give you an unsecured card so it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do to rebuild.

In hindsight, 5 months ago I cancelled a Cap One card with a 39 AF and a 500 limit. I had gotten the card in April, not knowing that I could get better. I called them, told them that 500 just isn't cutting it for me, I have a history with you that's all good and good scores, what can you do for me, and they did nothing. I mean, nothing. If they couldn't give me a CLI on that card, I just don't really understand why they didn't say look with your scores you could probably get a Venture or our new 1.5% Cash Rewards card and tried to PC me, or just suggested I apply for it. But they didn't. It's like, they really didn't care. I guess I will never understand their business model, because I'm not capable of understanding it, and I'm glad we have other companies out there that have been much better to do business with.

I will say they are good to rebuild with, in their defense. I just can't say much else for them.

Just recently I called Cap One and asked them for the millionth time to waive my $59 annual fee. They said no, those are the terms you signed up for. I finally said LOOK, that was like 10 years ago. Since then, my scores have gone up to around 800 and I've never so much as made a single late payment... to ANYONE. I just feel like that has not been rewarded at all, I haven't even gotten a single CLI from you since 2005 (although my CL is $6,000, so I can't really complain TOO much). He said "sorry" once again, then said "hold on... I see here that you're eligible to switch to a no-AF card," and offered me the Venture or the new Cash Rewards. So why don't you try again? Ask the CSR to check if your account is eligible for an upgrade of any kind.

But just for bleeps and giggles yesterday I tried the C1 preselector... it offered me two crappy AF cards. With 800 scores. LOL. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.