Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App and approval tracking

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

App and approval tracking

Has anyone tracked the rate at which people are apping for credit and the approval rates?

It'd be interesting to know the numbers (since 2008) by lender to see how credit worthiness and lender desireability  is changing - or staying the same. Yes, we know generalities like credit limits are lower, but what about consumer interest?

Thoughts?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: App and approval tracking

Approval rates on their own really wouldn't provide much meaningful insight IMO.  Creditworthyness is much more difficult to track.  Scoring is a popular metric for that but creditors don't always look at just scoring.

Additionally, relying on forum postings for statistical analysis is always unreliable.  Forum users typically do not represent the general populace very well.

Message 2 of 8
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

I just read an article on this the other day. Doesn't say where the data came from but seems legit Smiley Wink

http://blogs.creditcards.com/2013/10/cfpb-report-credit-card-approvals-limits.php

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

Approval rates on their own really wouldn't provide much meaningful insight IMO.  Creditworthyness is much more difficult to track.  Scoring is a popular metric for that but creditors don't always look at just scoring.

Additionally, relying on forum postings for statistical analysis is always unreliable.  Forum users typically do not represent the general populace very well.

+1

Message 4 of 8
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't suggesting that anyone on this site provide information based on (for example) a board poll. As I see it, there are some people on this site who may actually have an interest in the information and I would gladly accept a point in the right direction if the gathered information existed. I'm guessing that I'm not the first to think of it, perhaps not even the first to inquire. This membership is fairly estute, so figured posing the quesion would incite a discussion and/or a suggestion as to where the information may be found.

Thanks for the article hyp.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 5 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Well the fact that someone my age (23) with a barely three year old history is able to obtain five digit limits without any troubles would suggest that lenders are getting back to how they used to be. It seems anyone who applies for the Chase Sapphire Preferred is getting approved for it fairly easily and a lot seem to be instantly. Someone even said Chase approved a card with a bankruptcy on the reports.

Message 6 of 8
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Nav.

All,

Do you believe that the trend (which is really the topic of discussion) is that more creditors are easing up on standards or is it that creditors have more of a portfolio of cards to choose from - more low end and more high end cards?

Message 7 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Thanks Nav.

All,

Do you believe that the trend (which is really the topic of discussion) is that more creditors are easing up on standards or is it that creditors have more of a portfolio of cards to choose from - more low end and more high end cards?

It could be both. Barclays has their rewards card for "good" and "excellent" credit, like how Capital One has their different cards for people with different credit. Chase says the underwriting requirements are the same for all of their cards from Freedom to Sapphire Preferred.

I also believe they are loosening their requirements to make more money on lending out to more people. From stories I see that it was difficult to obtain new credit right after the meltdown and many people had limits obliterated for "no reason", even though carrying a balance was likely the cause. Now that we are five years after the supposed crash, they probably feel more comfortable lending to people and people are getting jobs now when they couldn't before.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.