Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App'd and received Amex card, but better offer arrived days later

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

App'd and received Amex card, but better offer arrived days later

I have the Costco TE Amex card which I use heavily, so I was disappointed to hear they're moving away from Costco next March. In preparation for the move, I applied for the Every Day card so that I could eventually move my credit limit over from the Costco card over to the new Every Day card just in case the old accounts get closed (not likely but that happened to me once before years ago).

I received the new Every Day Amex card about 10 days ago, but last night I received an emailed preselected invitation to apply for that exact card. The catch is the benefits are actually way better - 25k bonus points as opposed to 10k, and 12.9% interest as opposed to 20.9% interest after the initial 0% intro period. I started a chat with them to see if my invitation code could be applied to the new card, but I got nowhere. Then I called in and spoke to a friendly guy in the application area who sounded confident they could make the change, but then he transferred me to a pretty rude lady who said there was no way to add the promo onto my new card. She said it was an offer "for new customers only", and I was like well I've had this for 10 days that's pretty new right?? She was very unhelpful, and there was a constant loud beeping in the background which was extremely annoying.

I know Chase has been very generous extending better promo offers to new customers after they have already received a card, so I assumed Amex would have been more accomodating. I went to send them an email, but it was frustrating as I found options for: phone, chat, facebook, twitter, linkedin, youtube, and a community forum but no option for email. What's up with that? I wanted to keep my relationship with Amex for the excellent customer service, but honestly this experience has me questioning that rationale. My experience with Chase in the last few years has been outstanding compared to Amex. Has anyone successfully been able to get Amex to honor a new/better promo offer??

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: App'd and received Amex card, but better offer arrived days later

@MTSN wrote:

I have the Costco TE Amex card which I use heavily, so I was disappointed to hear they're moving away from Costco next March. In preparation for the move, I applied for the Every Day card so that I could eventually move my credit limit over from the Costco card over to the new Every Day card just in case the old accounts get closed (not likely but that happened to me once before years ago).

I received the new Every Day Amex card about 10 days ago, but last night I received an emailed preselected invitation to apply for that exact card. The catch is the benefits are actually way better - 25k bonus points as opposed to 10k, and 12.9% interest as opposed to 20.9% interest after the initial 0% intro period. I started a chat with them to see if my invitation code could be applied to the new card, but I got nowhere. Then I called in and spoke to a friendly guy in the application area who sounded confident they could make the change, but then he transferred me to a pretty rude lady who said there was no way to add the promo onto my new card. She said it was an offer "for new customers only", and I was like well I've had this for 10 days that's pretty new right?? She was very unhelpful, and there was a constant loud beeping in the background which was extremely annoying.

I know Chase has been very generous extending better promo offers to new customers after they have already received a card, so I assumed Amex would have been more accomodating. I went to send them an email, but it was frustrating as I found options for: phone, chat, facebook, twitter, linkedin, youtube, and a community forum but no option for email. What's up with that? I wanted to keep my relationship with Amex for the excellent customer service, but honestly this experience has me questioning that rationale. My experience with Chase in the last few years has been outstanding compared to Amex. Has anyone successfully been able to get Amex to honor a new/better promo offer??

AMEX will not offer different terms once they approve you unlike Chase. The loud beep you are hearing is actually leting you know that the call is being recorded. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.