Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App "spree" success & a question

tag
Danizzle
New Contributor

App "spree" success & a question

I wanted to share in some of my excitement since I got the last 2 cards I really wanted (not to brag Smiley Tongue)

I was tired of all the FAKO scores, so I bought the 3 CR reports + score from this site tonight. My scores were a little higher than I expected (720+ on all 3). After seeing that I tried my luck on the:

- Baryclaycard Arrival Mastercard - Approved w/ $4,000 limit

- Chase Freedom - Approved w/ $2,000 limit.

I wanted the Barclay for the signup bonus (40k points) and better earning for points than I currently have and the Freedom to go along with my CS.

As for my question; I was setting up the online account and noticed the picture for my card said Platinum rather than WMC. I thought they only came in WMC, so I called them up and the gentleman aid after trying to upgrade my account that the Platinum was the highest they offered. As anyone ever heard Platinum > WMC? Should I try tomorrow once the account had more time to setup? Do I need to wait 6-12 mos.?

Thanks as always for the advice!

All FICO scores as of 9.1.14: Exp 744, Eq 745, TU 764
Goal: 800+ across the board
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: App "spree" success & a question

@Danizzle wrote:

I wanted to share in some of my excitement since I got the last 2 cards I really wanted (not to brag Smiley Tongue)

I was tired of all the FAKO scores, so I bought the 3 CR reports + score from this site tonight. My scores were a little higher than I expected (720+ on all 3). After seeing that I tried my luck on the:

- Baryclaycard Arrival Mastercard - Approved w/ $4,000 limit

- Chase Freedom - Approved w/ $2,000 limit.

I wanted the Barclay for the signup bonus (40k points) and better earning for points than I currently have and the Freedom to go along with my CS.

As for my question; I was setting up the online account and noticed the picture for my card said Platinum rather than WMC. I thought they only came in WMC, so I called them up and the gentleman aid after trying to upgrade my account that the Platinum was the highest they offered. As anyone ever heard Platinum > WMC? Should I try tomorrow once the account had more time to setup? Do I need to wait 6-12 mos.?

Thanks as always for the advice!

Congarts 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your approvals. As for the plat -WMC if you were approved at Plat you will not be eligible for an 'upgrade' to WMC. Barclays is quirky with their approval criteria and they will ask you to apply again later
Message 3 of 15
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Maybe they require a $5k CL or great? Congrats on the CLs provided!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Congratulations on your approvals. As for the plat -WMC if you were approved at Plat you will not be eligible for an 'upgrade' to WMC. Barclays is quirky with their approval criteria and they will ask you to apply again later

+1

Minimum CL requirement for Barclays Signature or WMC versions is typically $5K.  Unfortunately, as Lexie mentioned above, once approved for a Platinum version, it stays Platinum for the life of the card regardless of CLIs that push above the $5K CL threshold.

Message 5 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Like finstar said, if you are approved for the platinum, it will stay that way even if you are to get CLI in the future and have a >5k CL.

However..... There is an exception to the rule. You can appeal / recon the CL right now. If they can approve you for a >5k CL within a few days of account opening (I'm guessing it has to do with getting this done before the account numbers itself is generated), they can upgrade you to the WMC. The downside is that it will most likely cost you another inquiry, and it's not guaranteed. My gf was able to do this and got switched over to the WMC, and they did pull a new inquiry. Someone else on this forums was able to recon initial CL without an additional inquiry done.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 15
Danizzle
New Contributor

Thanks very much enharu and others! I'll try that tomorrow.

All FICO scores as of 9.1.14: Exp 744, Eq 745, TU 764
Goal: 800+ across the board
Message 7 of 15
thecentury303
New Contributor

Do you still get $400 welcome bonus even it is platinum rather than WMC?

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 8 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Yes you still get the full sign up bonus. Rewards structure stays the same. Only difference is you are missing out on some WMC benefits and the word "world" is replaced with the word "platinum" on top of the MC logo.

Not really a big difference to be honest. My gf recon the CL mostly because she also wanted a higher CL to make better use of the 0% apr.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Like finstar said, if you are approved for the platinum, it will stay that way even if you are to get CLI in the future and have a >5k CL.

However..... There is an exception to the rule. You can appeal / recon the CL right now. If they can approve you for a >5k CL within a few days of account opening (I'm guessing it has to do with getting this done before the account numbers itself is generated), they can upgrade you to the WMC. The downside is that it will most likely cost you another inquiry, and it's not guaranteed. My gf was able to do this and got switched over to the WMC, and they did pull a new inquiry. Someone else on this forums was able to recon initial CL without an additional inquiry done.

+1

Their underwriting policies do vary frequently so best to get it reviewed asap.  There's no guarantee like enharu mentioned above but there is no harm in trying and just keep in mind there will be likely another HP.  If you're willing to go this route, go for it.  Best of luck either way!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.