Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree hangover?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: App spree hangover?

Well congrats on the cards, CLI, PC and car!!!  What kind of car?

It's easy to say don't look at your scores for a few months but, honestly, I'd want to look just for curiosity purposes only! 

What do you have that gives you score change alerts?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 24
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

It's easy to say don't look at your scores for a few months but, honestly, I'd want to look just for curiosity purposes only! 

Thx much.  I got a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD.  Really fun ride with all the bells/whistles; had been looking for an AWD since I have to slog through these long MN winters.

I use myfico which will alert me of any changes to my EQ score (for $16/month).  I also use credit karma (for monitoring purposes only...ignore the score), and the Experian site freecreditreport for EX monitoring ($18/month)...again ignoring the score.

Message 12 of 24
mirachi
Regular Contributor

LOL personally I just don't look at my scores until about a year later...when I go for another app spree =_____=

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 13 of 24
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I completely understand OP. Once my baddie was settled I went on a spree. Very nice feeling to have some instant approvals but I know my score will be paying for it. Like you, I'll be gardening until next year - I pretty much have all the cards I want Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

I've worked so hard to get my scores into the 700ish range, it's going to be a little bit of a gut punch to watch them drop back down.

For those who have done app sprees, how do you handle it?  Should I just ignore the score alerts/e-mails and resist pulling fresh reports for a few months?

Sprees don't automatically lead to a drop and the impact of the drop can vary.  Unless you're applying for something the short term drop doesn't matter and your score will recover.  What you should do is your call.  I'd continue to monitor even if my scores dropped but I'm not score obsessed.

Message 15 of 24
Oslo
Valued Member

I just submitted 4 apps and was successful with 2.

like everyone else has suggested, I plan to work my new cards and not check my score for three months.  I'm actually enrolled to receive my TU automatically every three months an did the spree intentionally the same day I received my last report.

| Amex Green | Dicover It | Citi Simplicity | Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Slate | Banana Republic Visa | JCrew |

| EQ 694 | TU 701 | EX 706 | Updated 02/04/2015
Message 16 of 24
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

Thx much.  I got a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD.  Really fun ride with all the bells/whistles; had been looking for an AWD since I have to slog through these long MN winters.

I use myfico which will alert me of any changes to my EQ score (for $16/month).  I also use credit karma (for monitoring purposes only...ignore the score), and the Experian site freecreditreport for EX monitoring ($18/month)...again ignoring the score.

If you call the freecreditreport representative they will cut the cost of that monthly fee in to $6.49/ monith. I just did that to track a dispute I was having with Experian. Very simple, but you have to call for them to apply the discount. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 17 of 24
Involver
Valued Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

If you call the freecreditreport representative they will cut the cost of that monthly fee in to $6.49/ monith. I just did that to track a dispute I was having with Experian. Very simple, but you have to call for them to apply the discount. 

Yep, this will pretty much work with any of the monitoring services.  They will usually offer half of or more to keep you a customer.  Great way to save money and still keep up on everything. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 24
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I just went on a pretty large, planned for months, cli/app spree and I was expecting some pretty significant damage to be done. I added 9 inqs and 4 new cards....my scores have actually gone up a tad. I know that I won't be apping for anything for a while, but 3 inqs do hit a year old in May...and I have a slew of inqs falling off, seemingly some each month...lol. The key is good planning....you'll be fine.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 19 of 24
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Involver wrote:

@striehl8212 wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

Yep, this will pretty much work with any of the monitoring services.  They will usually offer half of or more to keep you a customer.  Great way to save money and still keep up on everything. Smiley Happy

Great tip.  I will call them now.  Thx!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.