cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree results and major purchase plan!

tag
greenpang
Contributor

App spree results and major purchase plan!

DH and I indulged in our planned app spree about two weeks ago (one month earlier than planned), but it worked out okay! Our last spree was late December, so it had been 5 months since our latest inquiries and newest accounts.

Me:

Amex SPG -- Instant approval, $7,200 limit.

Citi ThankYou Preferred -- Instant approval, $10,500 limit.

Barclays Arrival -- 7-10-day message. Recon call. Said my history with Barclays was short (opened US Airways 8/12) but approved me with $5,000 limit.

Chase Ink Business -- 7-10-day message. Recon call. Said my history with Chase was short (opened Freedom & CSP 12/12) and my business was too young. Denied.

DH:

Amex PRG -- Instant approval, NPSL.

Amex Gold Delta -- Instant approval, $7,500 limit.

Chase Sapphire Preferred -- Instant approval, $26,200 limit. (Whoa!)

Barclays Arrival -- Instant approval, $12,800 limit.

The 7 new cards have since arrived. Smiley Happy

We'll be using the majority of these for general spending and will PIF every month, but we'll also be making a major purchase next week (~$20K), and we're planning to pay off ~$12K immediately and finance the remaining ~$8K over the next 10 months. Three of our new cards have a 12-month intro 0% APR, so we are going to split up the purchase between those. Here's the plan for that:

$3,045 on my Citi ThankYou Preferred (CL $10,500) -- 29% util

$1,450 on my Barclays Arrival (CL $5,000) -- 29% util

$3,712 on DH's Barclays Arrival (CL $12,800) -- 29% util

This will bring each of these three cards to 29% utilization, and we'll pay off 10% of each balance for the next 10 months (monthly payments of $304.50 to Citi, $145 to my Arrival, and $371.20 to DH's arrival), dropping the util on each by ~3% each month.

What do you guys think of this plan? I'm sure there will be a slight temporary drop in our scores because of the 29% utilization on these cards (as well as the new inquiries and new accounts), but we don't plan to app again until February of 2014, at which point they'll each be down to ~6% util. Any concerns/suggestions?

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: App spree results and major purchase plan!

@greenpang wrote:

DH and I indulged in our planned app spree about two weeks ago (one month earlier than planned), but it worked out okay! Our last spree was late December, so it had been 5 months since our latest inquiries and newest accounts.

Me:

Amex SPG -- Instant approval, $7,200 limit.

Citi ThankYou Preferred -- Instant approval, $10,500 limit.

Barclays Arrival -- 7-10-day message. Recon call. Said my history with Barclays was short (opened US Airways 8/12) but approved me with $5,000 limit.

Chase Ink Business -- 7-10-day message. Recon call. Said my history with Chase was short (opened Freedom & CSP 12/12) and my business was too young. Denied.

DH:

Amex PRG -- Instant approval, NPSL.

Amex Gold Delta -- Instant approval, $7,500 limit.

Chase Sapphire Preferred -- Instant approval, $26,200 limit. (Whoa!)

Barclays Arrival -- Instant approval, $12,800 limit.

The 7 new cards have since arrived. Smiley Happy

We'll be using the majority of these for general spending and will PIF every month, but we'll also be making a major purchase next week (~$20K), and we're planning to pay off ~$12K immediately and finance the remaining ~$8K over the next 10 months. Three of our new cards have a 12-month intro 0% APR, so we are going to split up the purchase between those. Here's the plan for that:

$3,045 on my Citi ThankYou Preferred (CL $10,500) -- 29% util

$1,450 on my Barclays Arrival (CL $5,000) -- 29% util

$3,712 on DH's Barclays Arrival (CL $12,800) -- 29% util

This will bring each of these three cards to 29% utilization, and we'll pay off 10% of each balance for the next 10 months (monthly payments of $304.50 to Citi, $145 to my Arrival, and $371.20 to DH's arrival), dropping the util on each by ~3% each month.

What do you guys think of this plan? I'm sure there will be a slight temporary drop in our scores because of the 29% utilization on these cards (as well as the new inquiries and new accounts), but we don't plan to app again until February of 2014, at which point they'll each be down to ~6% util. Any concerns/suggestions?

With an approval like that with Chase are you sure you don't want any other chase cards!!?

Congrats and looks like you all got this plan worked out just fine.  If that meets bonuses and you don't mind the 3 payments then sure... I would probably stick it all on one for simplifying but I like your monthly break down.

Message 2 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your spree. I would say the plan looks solid and if you are not apping for anything in the future - util and CS are not important. What is important is to not spook Barclays with apping for more cc's.

Nice cc's and CL's.
Message 3 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Very Nice!!! Congrats on the app spree!!

You are right you will probably see a drop due to the new accounts and the UTL. That should recover pretty fast. So, IMO if you are not planning any new credit after this you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like a good plan!!

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 14
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Very successful spree and your payoff plan sounds solid to me. Congratulations!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
greenpang
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

With an approval like that with Chase are you sure you don't want any other chase cards!!?

Congrats and looks like you all got this plan worked out just fine.  If that meets bonuses and you don't mind the 3 payments then sure... I would probably stick it all on one for simplifying but I like your monthly break down.

Haha, I know! I couldn't believe it the limit he got on the CSP. Convenient, too, since we do so much travel and dining. We'd been putting everything on my 6K-limit CSP, and I'd always have to pay it down before the statement cut to avoid high util, so this will make things easier.

Yeah, we are charging some of the purchase to other cards to meet bonuses (thankfully, the merchant doesn't mind us splitting it up between a bunch of cards) but paying those off immediately.

As for the 8K portion we're financing, putting it all on one card would be more convenient, but that would have to be DH's Arrival, and I'd be concerned that a 8K/12.8K balance (63% util) might not be viewed favorably by any creditors who happened to review his credit. (Hell, I'm even worried about the 29% utils, but maybe I'm over-paranoid. I usually never let anything report over 9%.)

Splitting it between the three shouldn't be too annoying if we just put the monthly payment amounts on autopay.

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 6 of 14
greenpang
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Congrats on your spree. I would say the plan looks solid and if you are not apping for anything in the future - util and CS are not important. What is important is to not spook Barclays with apping for more cc's.

Nice cc's and CL's.

Thanks!

Even without apping, I've heard of creditors having issues with seeing >50% util on any account during their standard reviews, so I'm just trying to avoid making anyone worried.

Yeah, I've read Barclays is a weird/stingy bank, so I hope nothing is going to spook them. Do you mean more apps with them or just in general? Since I got my US Airways card last August (I'm keeping it), I'm sure they're going to do a soft pull of my TU for their annual review, and that's just about the worst time for them to check me out -- my new cards will be reporting, and I'll have some cards with ~25% util. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues. :\

Message 7 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I mean more apps in the next 6 mos. keep I mind, that's a YMMV whether or not Barclays will AA. - some have had no problems with them.
Message 8 of 14
greenpang
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I mean more apps in the next 6 mos. keep I mind, that's a YMMV whether or not Barclays will AA. - some have had no problems with them.

Somehow I never really read into the stuff on Barclays account closures before, but I just looked into it, and geez.

Clearly I'm already paranoid, as evidenced by my plan and hesitation to ever have >29% reporting.

Seems that running these large charges through the cards (even though we'll pay them off/down immediately) might spook some creditors, too. Man, you can't catch a break. I feel like we're being super credit-responsible, but we're still doing things that could potentially result in being identified as a "risk" and having our accounts shut down.

Hoping for the best.

Message 9 of 14
greenpang
Contributor

Along these lines, do you think it would be helpful or harmful to call in advance to notify creditors of the large charge?

Pro: Could prevent an automatic red flag in their systems that could cause them to have an issue?

Con: Could be the source of the red flag and cause concern that wouldn't have happened otherwise?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.