Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App spree thoughts?

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I'm looking for some thoughts on apping for some new cards, and my approval chances. When I started working on rebuilding my credit, I opened a secured card, a couple commenity cards, and a QS1 about a year and a half ago. I’ve just been in the garden ever since, but I want to close the secured card and hopefully get something other than QS1 for everyday use.
My info:
Scores: EQ 702, TU 801, EX 683 (Huge discrepancy in scores because I was able to get student loan baddies deleted off TU, but no luck on the getting them removed from the other two)
Util: 6%
AAOA: 3.5 years
Income: $85,000
Monthly spending: $1300-1600

I plan on traveling more and will be booking a few international flights soon, so I want something with good travel rewards.
I went to a few pre-qual sites and got the following responses:
Cap1: Venture 40k miles
Chase: Freedom $150, CSP 50k pts
Amex: PRG 50k, BCP $250, ED 30k

I have a question about the wording on the amex site. It says “We have found the following exclusive Card offers for you. These offers are only available here. We invite you to apply for one today.” I have seen people posting different wording from this pre-approval site so I just want to make sure this is actually a pre-approval and not just a suggestion. When I enter in bogus info on the site it comes back with something like “based on your interests we recommend these…” so it seems like what I am getting with my real personal info is an actual pre-approval?

Anyone have recommendations for what I would probably (or not) qualify for? And which ones I should go for? I like the bonuses of PRG and ED, and would like to get in with Amex as I haven’t yet. CSP also looks good. Can’t decide…
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: App spree thoughts?

@Anonymous wrote:
It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I'm looking for some thoughts on apping for some new cards, and my approval chances. When I started working on rebuilding my credit, I opened a secured card, a couple commenity cards, and a QS1 about a year and a half ago. I’ve just been in the garden ever since, but I want to close the secured card and hopefully get something other than QS1 for everyday use.
My info:
Scores: EQ 702, TU 801, EX 683 (Huge discrepancy in scores because I was able to get student loan baddies deleted off TU, but no luck on the getting them removed from the other two)
Util: 6%
AAOA: 3.5 years
Income: $85,000
Monthly spending: $1300-1600

I plan on traveling more and will be booking a few international flights soon, so I want something with good travel rewards.
I went to a few pre-qual sites and got the following responses:
Cap1: Venture 40k miles
Chase: Freedom $150, CSP 50k pts
Amex: PRG 50k, BCP $250, ED 30k

I have a question about the wording on the amex site. It says “We have found the following exclusive Card offers for you. These offers are only available here. We invite you to apply for one today.” I have seen people posting different wording from this pre-approval site so I just want to make sure this is actually a pre-approval and not just a suggestion. When I enter in bogus info on the site it comes back with something like “based on your interests we recommend these…” so it seems like what I am getting with my real personal info is an actual pre-approval?

Anyone have recommendations for what I would probably (or not) qualify for? And which ones I should go for? I like the bonuses of PRG and ED, and would like to get in with Amex as I haven’t yet. CSP also looks good. Can’t decide…

1. Since you're interested in travel type stuff the Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite would be good for you, and Barclay almost always pulls TU, so you should be in like Flynn.

2. Cap One Venture is a good travel card too, in my opinion. Cap One preapprovals are solid. (Thing is, Cap One often pulls 2 or 3 bureaus; what if your preapproval was based on your TU score and they don't care for your other scores? But I think your other scores are good enough that you would get the Venture)

3. My personal favorite card is Barclay Ring, which doesn't have any perks but has very low fees and interest.

4. The Amex preapprovals are solid. But I say don't bother with their charge cards; why not get a credit card instead. Amex almost always pulls EX.

5. Don't apply for too many cards. 3 tops.  Then garden for another year.

If you want to do this with one pull, that's likely to be granted, and that has travel rewards and a good starting limit.... I think your best shot is Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I can't get the Barcley pre approval site to recognize me so I don't get anything from them. The arrival + doors look good though. I will have to think about that one.

I always PIF every month so interest doesn't really matter to me.
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm, I can't get the Barcley pre approval site to recognize me so I don't get anything from them. The arrival + doors look good though. I will have to think about that one.

I always PIF every month so interest doesn't really matter to me.

With an 800 TU score I don't think you need to concern yourself about preapproval with them. They always pull TU.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.