double post

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 11 of 27
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Re: App with Navy or Cap1 first

Actually all the comenity cards are soft pull only as long as you use the shopping cart trick. Its an easy way to quickly increase your amount of available credit without burning a single HP.

I would suggest, express, buckle, VS, roamans and Jcrew. You might have to try a few times, but all easily gotten.  

They help your healing CR but the goal should still be 3 revolvers I'd say over 6 months is a good goal. 

My vote is Creditone, Capone at the same time, followed by Navy. Alternatively, two secured CU cards with an app for an unsecured at the 5-6 month mark. 

@starry1 wrote:

Any thoughts on one of the Comenity/WFFNB cards?

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 12 of 27
stormb28
New Contributor

What are the requirements to get in with Navy?
Message 13 of 27
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I filed bankruptcy twice (in 2003 & 2005) and I waited until I could qualify for an Orchard Bank card. I dodged First Premier like the plague. CreditOne is awful charging people $19.99 for their CLI. Unbelievable! I waited and paid cash until I could get in with a decent company first. I would try Capital One first.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 14 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I filed bankruptcy twice (in 2003 & 2005) and I waited until I could qualify for an Orchard Bank card. I dodged First Premier like the plague. CreditOne is awful charging people $19.99 for their CLI. Unbelievable! I waited and paid cash until I could get in with a decent company first. I would try Capital One first.

damn....why?

to the OP...i'd go for Navy and Cap1

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 15 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@shols44 wrote:

LS2982 I have to disagree about creditone.

They are a horrible blood sucking company, but they have a purpose. In a post-BK rebuild, they serve very very well.  They use a soft-pull preapproval. This means, you won't burn a HP just to find out you are denied after the fact. $75 AF is horrendous but the goal post-Bk is to have three revolvers reporting. Creditone can get you there. I paid, got my three revolvers and scored a 6.5K visa sig 6 months post discharge.

As starry knows, we've covered this extensively in the appropriate thread, this card MUST be cancelled in month 11! This is essential.

All that being said, its not a good card, and definitely deserves to rot in a sock drawer (exactly were mine is) but it can be used effectively to achieve new credit freedom.  

There are so many other options out there instead of paying their ridiculous fees and interest. Open up a secured account. They should be a last resort if you cant get secured cards.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

LS2982 I have to disagree about creditone.

They are a horrible blood sucking company, but they have a purpose. In a post-BK rebuild, they serve very very well.  They use a soft-pull preapproval. This means, you won't burn a HP just to find out you are denied after the fact. $75 AF is horrendous but the goal post-Bk is to have three revolvers reporting. Creditone can get you there. I paid, got my three revolvers and scored a 6.5K visa sig 6 months post discharge.

As starry knows, we've covered this extensively in the appropriate thread, this card MUST be cancelled in month 11! This is essential.

All that being said, its not a good card, and definitely deserves to rot in a sock drawer (exactly were mine is) but it can be used effectively to achieve new credit freedom.  

There are so many other options out there instead of paying their ridiculous fees and interest. Open up a secured account. They should be a last resort if you cant get secured cards.

+1

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 27
starry1
Valued Contributor

I have a grand ready to plunk down at navy if I have to. I also can get membership at another local cu called Bellco if I need a second secured card. Something inside me balks at the idea of getting secured at cap1, so I'll stick with credit unions if I have to start secured.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 18 of 27
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Oh boy! Complicated story. Smiley Sad Lost my mother due to cancer when I was a teenager and put myself through college mostly with scholarships at first but most were only for 2 years. Started racking up student loan debt and there wasn't much left to eat. I worked part time while in school but I only made like $200 bucks every other week. Graduated with monstrous debt that my entry salary was no match for and declared a Chapter 7. Next one was a Chapter 13 which was due to mostly my stupidity. I bought a house with a 2 year ARM that a predatory broker said he would refinance me out of. That never happened and the payment ballooned. So I filed a Chapter 13 to get a stay put on the property and that gave me another year to get through my complicated pregnancy and try to secure financing but I failed...DTI was too high. Broker knew putting that imaginary renter in the basement would screw us over but I was too naive and young to believe it. Early twenties...didn't know much about the mortgage process and it foreclosed. But over 10 years later, I finally am getting prime cards again, closed on a mortgage 2/6/13, and leased a new luxury sedan late last year. I paid cash for a very very long time and mostly let the subprime auto loans pull my score enough out of the abyss so that I could qualify for an unsecured card. I never had a secured card...not knocking them, just never got one but looking back, it probably would have helped.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 19 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@starry1 wrote:
I have a grand ready to plunk down at navy if I have to. I also can get membership at another local cu called Bellco if I need a second secured card. Something inside me balks at the idea of getting secured at cap1, so I'll stick with credit unions if I have to start secured.

Cap1 really isnt that bad for secured but just make sure you understand that they do NOT graduate to unsecured and you'll have to close it to get deposit back when ready. It's really good if you plan on using it for a year and beefing up the deposit to set yourself up for prime lenders and big CL's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.