cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently AMEX doesn't forget but forgives now ...!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently AMEX doesn't forget but forgives now ...!!

I recently got approved for the PRG and BCP with Amex (very happy with them so far). When I got the cards and activated them, both the cards and my online profile showed Member since 2016. However today i logged in and saw that it is now showing me as Member Since 2002 ... which is when i had gotten the first Amex card that was part of chap. 7.

So apparently AMEX didn't forget me when it approved me for the above cards but rather decided to forgive and start a new relationship. Very thankful and amazing. Thought I would share.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apparently AMEX doesn't forget but forgives now ...!!

That's awesome (and interesting) news! Congrats!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did the same thing for me. I went bankrupt in 1992 and wrote off a $1000 Optima card.  AMEX hounded me like no other creditor before the discharge.  Yet in 2013 they gave me a green card as I was dealing with 60 day late payments on a huge debt.  I got the backdated history to 1991, the year I got the Optima.  Last year I got an everyday card (no backdating) with a nice 15K SL but high interest after the 15-month 0% period.  I got the little bonus and even used it for a balance transfer.  No problems. They even gave me the select and pay later feature on my senior gold card that I PC'd the green card for.  My experien score is only 685 but TU went up considerably to 717.  Income 50K disability, no lates since 2013.  Utilization 0.  6 cards with 37K available credit plust the NPSL senior gold card.  $110K debt on home equity line, $6500 student loan.  Age 55.

Message 3 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I had the same experience... I got a Green card back in 1995, which I was forced to IIBK back in 2000.  Fast-forward 15 years, and last April I was approved for another Green card and a BCP (I missed the back-dating by three weeks). 

After my approvals, when I established my online access it greeted me with "Member since 2015", but after a week or so it started greeting me with "Member since 1995".  My cards both came embossed with 2015, but from what I've read when they are reissued (either at expiration or at my request) the replacement cards will reflect 1995.  I've not bothered to get new cards, since the date is just cosmetic now.

They definitely don't forget anything... while I was approved, my BCP has a credit line of $1k (and the highest APR), and each time I've tried for a CLI I get declined due to "... past negative experience with an American Express account".  I'm able to make it work at $1k, though, so I'm not too bothered if they leave it there indefinitely.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah that is interesting that they will approve for a card with bk/past bad relationship but deny on the CLI ... ::confused::

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got approved for the PRG and BCP with Amex (very happy with them so far). When I got the cards and activated them, both the cards and my online profile showed Member since 2016. However today i logged in and saw that it is now showing me as Member Since 2002 ... which is when i had gotten the first Amex card that was part of chap. 7.

So apparently AMEX didn't forget me when it approved me for the above cards but rather decided to forgive and start a new relationship. Very thankful and amazing. Thought I would share.

Not only do they not forget, their memory is VERY long. Both my cards automatically changed to member since 1980, (I burned them in 1982).

Message 6 of 7
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

I have the same experience (2001). Unfortunately for me and many who got back in mid to late last year, we missed out on the backdating perk.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.