cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently I have missed my FIRST payment!?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Apparently I have missed my FIRST payment!?

Got a NY&Co card, wasn't paying attention and didnt get a statement, so just happened to look online. Due date is today! but apparently you can only make payments up until 6PM in order for them to count the same day! Of course it's now almost 11pm.. Tried to call and ask questions but the call center is closed after 9, and in order to make a payment with a rep they charge $15 anyway.... I'm sick To my stomach right now..... Will they report me as late or do they only report when it's 30 days past due?? It's Comenity Bank, if anybody has any experience with them....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: Apparently I have missed my FIRST payment!?

@chan85 wrote:

Got a NY&Co card, wasn't paying attention and didnt get a statement, so just happened to look online. Due date is today! but apparently you can only make payments up until 6PM in order for them to count the same day! Of course it's now almost 11pm.. Tried to call and ask questions but the call center is closed after 9, and in order to make a payment with a rep they charge $15 anyway.... I'm sick To my stomach right now..... Will they report me as late or do they only report when it's 30 days past due?? It's Comenity Bank, if anybody has any experience with them....

I am not a 100% sure but I think all you are facing is a late fee (which you can call and see if they will refund). I doubt it will get reported as a late on your report.

Edited to say that I would still make the payment online tonight and follow-up via phone tomorrow. What else can you do?

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 2 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Usually they only report it when it's 30 days late. My brother has paid a Cap One past the due date (mailed the check the day it was due). Not sure if they counted the postage date, usually they don't, but they didn't jack up his rate nor report him to the credit bureaus. Make the payment online ASAP, then call as soon as you can in the morning to explain your situation. Many times they'll give you the okay Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
Involus
Regular Contributor

I missed my cap one by like 2 days one time by accident. Statement got buried on the desk and I forgot to pay it...doh. But it didn't hit my report, they usually don't report it til 30 days, and then usually its 60 or 90.

Don't fret all is well.

Message 4 of 12
chan85
Established Contributor

Yeah I made the payment tonight, will call tomorrow too. 

In my youth I made some payments late with cap1 too, never had anything hit my credit, but missed a payment on my old credit one and I swear i think they reported the next day, wasn't even close to 30 days past due.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 12
Omri
New Contributor

Don't worry. I missed a payment by one or two days on my Chase Amazon card a couple months ago and was freaking out.

I sent them a secure message right after I found out, and they told me that you aren't reported to credit bureaus as late unless you're 30 days late, and they even reversed my late fee!

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 6 of 12
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I think you will be fine minus a possible late fee Smiley Wink   You cannot really go by credit one..they are a big ripoff anyway!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 7 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

One thing I shouldn't tell people, but if you actually look at the terminology

"30 days past the due date" is how it's defined.  So if it was due on January 1st, technically should not report late until Jan30-31st.  Although some creditors are known to ding your report sooner, but never heard of before 2 weeks. Of course being 1 day late usually throws you into penalty APR for indefiniately, and a late charge is usally applied.  but if you mostly PIF like most good MyFico posters should Smiley Wink this really matter too much.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 12
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I always thought that being 30 days late meant that you were 30 days late from the due date.  

The grace period is built in and therefore not included.  So if your due date is today and you pay today (or tomorrow or whenever today's payment processes) then you are not 30 days late.  30 days late would be 30 days from now.

But you might get a late fee tho.  But not reported to your CRs as 30 days late since you are not 30 days late.

Message 9 of 12
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Well hopefully the OP gets this worked out so it doesn't affect him/her.  I know how scary that can be especially if you've had to work hard and building your credit.

So just to make sure this doesn't happen with me, as sometimes I am forgetful, any card that I have a balance on has a minimum payment set up on autopay from my bank account to prevent this situation.  Most of the time I end up making two payments but it helps keep that pit in my stomach away Smiley Very Happy

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.