Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apped for Citi Diamond and BoA Visa

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Apped for Citi Diamond and BoA Visa

I recently received an invitation to app for the Citi Diamond Preferred card. I decided to go ahead and app for it today, along with the BoA affinity card that I've been wanting. Unfortunately, I was denied for both. I suppose at the very least I'll get to see my EX FICO score when the letter from BoA comes in. <sigh>... these have been my first denials since rebuilding.

I wish that I had checked the Citi app line before trying for the BoA, as knowledge of the decline might have caused me to hold off and save myself an inq. Oh well, over and done wtih.

Ok, time to pick myself up and continue on. I tried for these cards too soon, I guess. But, I thought that since I had received the invite and since Amex approved me last May, that perhaps I was ready after all. Guess not. Back to the garden until at least next fall. By then the last of my baddies should have fallen off.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Apped for Citi Diamond and BoA Visa

Sorry to hear about that.

Wait 6 months and try again. I'm sure by then your scores might be over 700.

Can you speculate why you were denied? (scores? Baddies?)

Message 2 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

Pretty sure it was baddies - 1 CA and 4 COs, all of which will be gone by next year. Frankly, I was shocked that Amex approved me last May with those on my report. I'll wait until those are gone and then try again. In the meantime, the cards that I have currently are serving me quite well.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

You are right in the fact that you will get your FICO score... So, not was all for a loss!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

You are right in the fact that you will get your FICO score... So, not was all for a loss!

Ray

Thanks, I agree. Generally, I tend to be the type of person who looks for the silver lining in things. But, admittedly, I'm feeling kind of down in the dumps about it today. No worries, though; I'll bounce back soon.

Message 5 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Pretty sure it was baddies - 1 CA and 4 COs, all of which will be gone by next year. Frankly, I was shocked that Amex approved me last May with those on my report. I'll wait until those are gone and then try again. In the meantime, the cards that I have currently are serving me quite well.

I have 1 paid collection and one active (dropping off next year)

I was amazed when AMEX approved me.

Message 6 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I understand just how you feel.  Smiley Happy

I have had a Discover card with a $1500 line for about 7 months now. I ran $3000 per month through that card for the first 5 months, then settled back a bit.

Called them yesterday and was declined for a CLI. I told the guy (who was very nice) that my Amex BCE has a line of $22,200 and Discover will not even budge to $5k?

So just like you, I had to deal with the emotions of a "let down". Oh well, it does not bother me that much. That card sits in the sock drawer.

I like to deal with the companies that like to deal with me!

Ray

Ray

Message 7 of 21
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear that you were declined.  I know the feeling.  You work so hard to build up your scores and when you hear success stories of others with similar scores you decide to go ahead and take the plunge.  I'm getting very itchy to app myself.  My EQ score is approaching 700 but my TU score is stuck at 629 (which I find odd because the EQ report has the satisfied tax liens reporting on it but the TU report does not...yet the EQ score is higher).  I did app for a Chase Freedom last month and was denied.  They pulled EX which also is not reporting the satisfied tax liens, so go figure.  I know how it feels to want a prime card...it is a feeling of acceptance and that all of our hard work has not been in vain.  Don't worry, our day will soon come where we will be picking and choosing what cards to app for.  Just hold off for now and rejoice in how far you've come.

Message 8 of 21
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Ray

Thanks, I agree. Generally, I tend to be the type of person who looks for the silver lining in things. But, admittedly, I'm feeling kind of down in the dumps about it today. No worries, though; I'll bounce back soon.

Down in the dumps? Nothing a little bit of chocolate won't fix. (or a lot Smiley Happy)

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Smiley Happy

Ray

Ray

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.