Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping and INQs

tag
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Apping and INQs

This is a fairly silly question, but I want to app for some prime cards once I close on my house in April. I think I should wait atleast a month after that just in case the lender wants to pull my reports again. I currently have rebuilder cards (First Premier, Credit One, Capital One) an Amex Oasis and a Kohl's charge. From what I gathered from all the good folks here, I should app for a Barclays and Walmart as they pull TU (scores in the signature and that credit report has 3 COs reporting zero balance), Amex Green Charge, and Amex BCE.

Anywho, how will my mortgage INQs (just 2) affect my apps? Total, EX will have 4 INQs and TU will have 3 INQs at time of app.

;Starting Score: Low 500s FICO Aug 2008
Current Score: EQ 668 EX 723 TU 723 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 720s Across the Board! Almost there!

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Apping and INQs

AFAIK, generally inquiries' impact on scores is pretty small. You'd probably lose a couple of points per inquiry. The other thing is that some lenders are extra sensitive to the amount of inquiries you have, so just apply wisely.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I woukd be very suprized if there were any issues ~ 3 or 4 inquiries is very few, so I think you will be fine
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
I woukd be very suprized if there were any issues ~ 3 or 4 inquiries is very few, so I think you will be fine

Agreed

Message 4 of 9
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone! That's good to know. I think I'm just going to app for all of the cards at the same time.

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 5 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Congrats on closing and becoming a homeowner. I had no problem being approved for credit after getting into my new home. The mortgage may have helped. I was approved for 3 different credit cards. You should be good to go. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 6 of 9
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Thanks Frogfan Smiley Happy. I haven't closed yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm under contract and got prequalified. Now I just have to turn in my financials. Wish me luck! This will be my first home, it's pretty major. It's great but a little scary. 

Message 7 of 9
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Why not wait six months to a year? Do you really need the credit or just itching to get rid of those cards you have and into some prime?

My biggesr suggesting would just be this; be carefull. Your name implies that this was not your first go around witth credit problems - not knocking you, I have been there.

Just temper your excitment and dont go fill your new home with new shiny furniture and toys.

Your getting there, dont go back down that road.
Message 8 of 9
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Not in a rush per se, by the time I apply it will be 6 months after closing (I plan things WAY in advance, its a curse sometimes). Contrary to my name I've only had to rebuild once lol (maybe I should change it Smiley Happy) I do want to get rid of the rebuilders I have now, but even now I don't use credit cards. I pay cash for everything and have small automatic charges on my cards to keep them active and PIF monthly (I don't want to get into a credit mess again). I do have to buy furniture bc I don't have any (long story), but I get a substantial bonus (~20K) in April so I'm paying cash for it anyway. 

When I was first started rebuilding I read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover (I think that's the name) and took to heart his advise to only pay interest on things that appreciate. Thanks for you concern though Smiley Happy I wish you were around when I was in college and ran up all my credit card debt. That's the type of advice I should have been given then. I regret it, but in a way I don't. Because at an early age I learned a tough credit and financial lesson that I can take into my future.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.