Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping for AMEX

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Apping for AMEX

It seems as if there are a few points of view and some hard facts about apping and the ultimate approval for AMEX products. 

1. Charge cards are somewhat easier to obtain than revolvers
  2. Co-branded cards may be easier to obtain than AMEX products
  3. It may be easier to get approved by apping for a co-branded product from the sponsor site
  4. You can get 2 cards for 1 HP by apping immediately after obtaining one approval
  5. If you are a member and app for another card, then it is a HP for an approval and SP for a denial

With those things in mind I wonder what the best approach might be for a non-member to be able to obtain membership into the AMEX family, and most specifically, to obtain PRG and SPG cards

1. App for the charge card, then try for the SPG on the AMEX site?
  2. App for the SPG card  from the sponsor site then go to the AMEX site to app for the PRG?
  3. App for the PRG from the AMEX site then go to the sponsor site and app for the PRG?

I am probably overthinking the entire situation, but I would really like both of these cards when I come out of the garden and I just want to have a good plan in place.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Apping for AMEX

Whoa that made my head hurt! Sounds complicated. Will wait for others to chime in.
Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

It seems as if there are a few points of view and some hard facts about apping and the ultimate approval for AMEX products. 

3. It may be easier to get approved by apping for a co-branded product from the sponsor site
  4. You can get 2 cards for 1 HP by apping immediately after obtaining one approval
  5. If you are a member and app for another card, then it is a HP for an approval and SP for a denial

With those things in mind I wonder what the best approach might be for a non-member to be able to obtain membership into the AMEX family, and most specifically, to obtain PRG and SPG cards

2. App for the SPG card  from the sponsor site then go to the AMEX site to app for the PRG?
  3. App for the PRG from the AMEX site then go to the sponsor site and app for the PRG?

I am probably overthinking the entire situation, but I would really like both of these cards when I come out of the garden and I just want to have a good plan in place.

Apply for PRG, if its approved, then go and apply for SPG.

the flip side is if you don't want a charge card at all unless you have to use it for a foot in the door you apply for what you actually want and then as backup go apply for charge card if denied what you want... but I feel most do it in the other order because if denied they then won't go for the charge and second guess everything and etc. etc. and nothing good comes from it in my opnion.

Message 3 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

Apply for PRG, if its approved, then go and apply for SPG.

the flip side is if you don't want a charge card at all unless you have to use it for a foot in the door you apply for what you actually want and then as backup go apply for charge card if denied what you want... but I feel most do it in the other order because if denied they then won't go for the charge and second guess everything and etc. etc. and nothing good comes from it in my opnion.

AND you should apply now, not garden until June when it comes to getting Amex!

Message 4 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It seems with a 650 Fico score a charge card is possible.  Delta Gold is probably the "easiest" revolver.  When I got PRG, my Fico was 656.  When I got Delta my Fico was closer to 700 (there was a large time gap between those apps), but I also got BCE with a Fico around 710.  I highly doubt approvals are any easier through a sponsor site versus the Amex site.

I would go for the PRG first and if approved, app for the revolver you want.

Message 5 of 15
Goose7
Valued Member

I still can't get a charge card from AMEX
I was denied for the Green Card with a 689 Experience, and 1% utilization...
Message 6 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Goose7 wrote:

Lots plays into Amex's internal workings of what they do when they pull your credit report and send it through that computer of theres and spit out a decision on the other side in seconds.

I have had a friend get approved with around a 640 which I thought was shocking but then about a year ago I had a roommate get approved and last score I saw was a Bill Me Later approval with a 605 and his gold had been approved right around that...

just depends what you got going on with your credit report... amex is harder on BK and other derog but easier on util. and such when it comes to charge cards.

Message 7 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Goose7 wrote:

Lots plays into Amex's internal workings of what they do when they pull your credit report and send it through that computer of theres and spit out a decision on the other side in seconds.

I have had a friend get approved with around a 640 which I thought was shocking but then about a year ago I had a roommate get approved and last score I saw was a Bill Me Later approval with a 605 and his gold had been approved right around that...

just depends what you got going on with your credit report... amex is harder on BK and other derog but easier on util. and such when it comes to charge cards.

+1

I had an old paid charge-off at the time, no other negatives.  Lates, BK and other factors may have a different weight on approval criteria.

Message 8 of 15
Longroad
Established Contributor

AND you should apply now, not garden until June when it comes to getting Amex!

I assume you are referring to the dating of the card. I will hope to have everything ready to app next month. i have a lot of traveling coming up between March and Sept. Could really use both the PRG and SPG

Message 9 of 15
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Goose7 wrote:

+1

I had an old paid charge-off at the time, no other negatives.  Lates, BK and other factors may have a different weight on approval criteria.

I have a lot of lates from a student loan about a year and a half ago. DO I have any chance? My ult is perfect my ex report had like 4 hp on it. I did add 3 accounts in december though. 

These two links are holding me back but they cant be right or half the people on here would not have an amex prg.

http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditcards/american-express-gold-card/

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/credit-score-needed-for-american-express/

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.