cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping for the Freedom post bankruptcy... Please post your results.

tag
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Apping for the Freedom post bankruptcy... Please post your results.

I want to App for the Freedom in January but have a bankruptcy from 2006.  FICO scores from both EQ and TU are around 720's when utilization is low as it will be when and if I apply.  Currently have NFCU Flagship Signature, NFCU NavCheck, NFCU Auto loan, School loan, Capitol One Platinum, and Barclay Apple in which all are reporting with no lates.  I have a good chance of FICO's reporting around 730 by January.

Do you think it would be a waste of an inquiry to shoot for a Chase Freedom?

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: Apping for the Freedom post bankruptcy... Please post your results.

My BK is from 2004 and i got denied for Slate card from CHASE due to BK. I even have Freedom card from them !!! (old Wamu).

Save your HP go for Amex.

Message 2 of 12
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

App now. I had a BK in 2008 and my scores aren't even close to yours nor do I have the variety of cards you have and still got a Freedom.. However I make a pretty sizeable income...

Message 3 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Just costs an Inquiry.  If you think you're ready, pull the trigger.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 12
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

@DeadSpider wrote:

My BK is from 2004 and i got denied for Slate card from CHASE due to BK. I even have Freedom card from them !!! (old Wamu).

Save your HP go for Amex.

Funny that you said that Spider... I've wayed the options between the two AMEX an Chase Freedom and felt that I had a better chance with the Chase Freedom than any AMEX card with BK reporting.

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I wouldn't even bothe with Chase or AMEX until you BK is 8 ys old.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@TilltedBrim wrote:

I want to App for the Freedom in January but have a bankruptcy from 2006.  FICO scores from both EQ and TU are around 720's when utilization is low as it will be when and if I apply.  Currently have NFCU Flagship Signature, NFCU NavCheck, NFCU Auto loan, School loan, Capitol One Platinum, and Barclay Apple in which all are reporting with no lates.  I have a good chance of FICO's reporting around 730 by January.

Do you think it would be a waste of an inquiry to shoot for a Chase Freedom?

It'd likely be an auto-denial and you'd need to recon with an underwriter.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 12
Voodard
Contributor

Was Chase listed in your bankruptcy?  If so, your application will get declined.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 8 of 12
compassion101
Established Contributor

First question on the chase app is:

Is your credit history clear from bankruptcies and/or seriously delinquent accounts?

YES my credit history is clear from bankruptcies and/or seriously delinquent accounts

NO my credit history is not clear from bankruptcies and/or seriously delinquent accounts

Not saying it's impossible, but it seems pretty unlikey until the BK comes off. I have an 8yo BK and applied a year ago and was denied. I was able to backdoor a Freedom cause my WAMU account was transferred over and they did give me a PC to the Freedom when I requested it. But they won't match my largest credit lines of 5k, keeping me at 2600.

Message 9 of 12
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

No, Chase or Amex was listed in my bankruptcy....  I was an authorized user for Amex until 2001 I believe but my stepdad who authorized me past away.  But it still shows on my report as never late although it hasn't posted since November 2004.

LS2982.... 8 years wouldn't be until May 31 2014.  Really wanting to step into a "prime" card before 8 years of bankruptcy but if it takes 8 years then I guess that's what it will have to be.

Visorboy... In your opinion how would you think that recon would go with the Chase underwriter?  I'm a DOD contractor and my income is $110,000

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.