cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping for two AMEX cards at the same time?

tag
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

Re: Apping for two AMEX cards at the same time?

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

Thanks David. Do you remember what your scores were at the time?

No score, I only got less than 1 month credit history. Only with 1 freedom reported on my reports. I applied the day when freedom got on my EX .

I didn't even think you could get a BCP with 1 month of credit history.

Message 11 of 20
NoNonsense
Established Member

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

Thanks David. Do you remember what your scores were at the time?

No score, I only got less than 1 month credit history. Only with 1 freedom reported on my reports. I applied the day when freedom got on my EX .

I didn't even think you could get a BCP with 1 month of credit history.

Ha!   There is another active thread on this board, right now, that has someone being scolded because he was denied by Amex, having 13 months of credit history.  People were saying, why he didn't wait two years?!?  

There is a lot of good information here, BUT ALSO a lot of disinformation, you have to be careful, use your brain about evaluating OPINIONS, because that's what they are, not FACTS, and then make a decision and hope you guessed right....

Message 12 of 20
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Ha!   There is another active thread on this board, right now, that has someone being scolded because he was denied by Amex, having 13 months of credit history.  People were saying, why he didn't wait two years?!?  

There is a lot of good information here, BUT ALSO a lot of disinformation, you have to be careful, use your brain about evaluating OPINIONS, because that's what they are, not FACTS, and then make a decision and hope you guessed right....

Amen!  There are some things that are really quirky about the whole credit 'game', and this site has been and continues to be an invaluable resource for helping me navigate through it.  However, I agree with you...there is also a lot of conjecture stated as fact.  

A big one is the whole 'Barclay will do an AA/CLD' if you dare to open another line of credit on or around the same time.  I'm sure Barclay's bank is somewhat sensitive to credit seeking behavior...but so is every other lender.  As with most customer service related issues, the ones who will scream the loudest are the 5 people who got screwed over (and we don't know the whole story there either).  No one hears from the 995 people who are perfectly content with their product. 

As with most things, common sense is usually your best guide.

Message 13 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Moved:

Message 14 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Hi, everyone.  Haven't properly introduced myself and I apologize, but have been reading a lot on the forum and decided to app spree for both the AMEX Blue Sky and Delta Gold cards today.  Was approved for the Delta Gold ($10.4K CL) and had to call in for the Blue Sky.  Was told that I had to wait 5 days for a decision on the Blue Sky; could not process both requests on the same day.  Apparently I am not as good as others.  I asked if that would mean an additional HP and was told they couldn't tell whether it would be HP or SP.  For background, I have been an AMEX member since 1989 and currently have a BCP ($34.5K CL) and Platinum card.  Got approved a couple of weeks ago for a DISCOVER it ($11.5K CL) and FICO EQ - 794.  AAoA over 12 years and only a couple of 5 year old late payments on CR.

Didn't mean to jack the thread, but wanted to get some insight and decide if I should cancel the Blue Sky app?  Thanks.

Welcome to the forum 

It does happen sometimes going to manual review

How many relvolvers do you have with Amex? 4 is the limit 

I've also asked that this be split off from this thread to get you more answers

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 20
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Thanks, myjourney.  Only have the Blue Cash Preferred revolver.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 16 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

I want to apply for AMEX Delta Skymiles and the AMEX BCE, and I am planning on doing so on the same day sometime next month.

Hypothetically, if I am approved for one (Delta) will they use the same pull for the AMEX BCE, or will that be a separate inquiry and count as two hard pulls?

Does it matter if I app on the website or over the phone?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I just did it two days ago and it was just 1 HP.  I applied for the BCP first and that was an instant approval.  Of course I came here to post about it and then I was reminded that they use the same HP for a second approval in the same day.  

So then I went for the Delta Gold.  That was not an instant approval and I had to call in.  They just wanted to know if I really wanted the card because sometimes thier customers accidentally apply twice.  Well of course I said yes I do want the card!  She said okay great you are approved.

I personally prefer to apply online but I don't think it really matters either way.  I think it's all about what you feel most comfortable with.

So the moral of this story is.....go for the 2 for 1 deal Smiley LOL 

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 17 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Thanks, myjourney.  Only have the Blue Cash Preferred revolver.

I'll admit it's weird the only thing I can think of is you may have possibly hit your internal limit with Amex 

I'll be pulling for you for an approval 

Congrats on all the other cards you were approved for as well ...Nice lineup

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 18 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

I want to apply for AMEX Delta Skymiles and the AMEX BCE, and I am planning on doing so on the same day sometime next month.

Hypothetically, if I am approved for one (Delta) will they use the same pull for the AMEX BCE, or will that be a separate inquiry and count as two hard pulls?

Does it matter if I app on the website or over the phone?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I just did it two days ago and it was just 1 HP.  I applied for the BCP first and that was an instant approval.  Of course I came here to post about it and then I was reminded that they use the same HP for a second approval in the same day.  

So then I went for the Delta Gold.  That was not an instant approval and I had to call in.  They just wanted to know if I really wanted the card because sometimes thier customers accidentally apply twice.  Well of course I said yes I do want the card!  She said okay great you are approved.

I personally prefer to apply online but I don't think it really matters either way.  I think it's all about what you feel most comfortable with.

So the moral of this story is.....go for the 2 for 1 deal Smiley LOL 

Yes to this also 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 19 of 20
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I was told this also before being told that I had to wait until 5 days from today for a decision.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.