Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping online or by phone

tag
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Apping online or by phone

I seem to recall that it may make a difference whether your credit card application takes place online or by phone. Something about credit limit, hard inquiries or income specification. What's your take on it?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apping online or by phone

No. It doesn't.
Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The difference would be that on the phone, sometimes if you get pending you can ask them to transfer you to the underwriting dept. That's about it. XD

Message 3 of 13
MT936
Established Contributor

no difference but if you were to get a 7-10 message or declined, they could transfer you over to credit analysts for recon

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

I seem to recall that it may make a difference whether your credit card application takes place online or by phone. Something about credit limit, hard inquiries or income specification. What's your take on it?

I doubt it makes a difference on HP, or the resulting credit decision, but sometimes with websites I can't figure out, where they have multiple products available, or there is some complication in the way I'm asking for the credit, a phone call and conversation makes it easier to specify what I'm looking for. Otherwise, I'm dependent on the available pull-down menus that may not be what I'm trying to convey.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 13
BlueRenew
Contributor

The one time I apped on the phone with Discover they pulled 2 CR(Equifax/Experian).

When I apped online they just pulled 1(Equifax).

I am unsure if it was because I was bordaline when I called,or if that is usually the procedure. 

My 7 Cards

NFCU CashRewards: $7,500 I Discover It: $4,000 I Sallie Mae: $2800 I Amazon Chase Visa: $1000 I Amazon Store Card: $900 I Cap1 Quicksilver1: $750 I Macys Store Card: $600
Message 6 of 13
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

The only time I apped over phone was for Cash+ because you can't do it online.

The terms and conditions section takes longer if you're over phone because the rep needs to go over it.

Also, the initial wait over phone ... 

But yes, she immediately gave me the contact detail to their UW department because my app went for a 7-day verification process. Also, she told me that the system was "recommending" approval. I guess you generally don't get these responses online.

Message 7 of 13
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@BlueRenew wrote:

The one time I apped on the phone with Discover they pulled 2 CR(Equifax/Experian).

When I apped online they just pulled 1(Equifax).

I am unsure if it was because I was bordaline when I called,or if that is usually the procedure. 

My sentiment exactly. I sense that my quota at Chase is nearly used up, so both multiple inquirires and a low credit limit would not be the present under the tree that I had in mind!

Message 8 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Well it matters if you're applying for Cash+ Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 13
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@too-much-time wrote:

The only time I apped over phone was for Cash+ because you can't do it online.

The terms and conditions section takes longer if you're over phone because the rep needs to go over it.

Also, the initial wait over phone ... 

But yes, she immediately gave me the contact detail to their UW department because my app went for a 7-day verification process. Also, she told me that the system was "recommending" approval. I guess you generally don't get these responses online.

Never will I do an application over the phone. The rep read me the T & C-took about 15min. I napped during this part of application process.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.