Reply
Regular Contributor
staifokuzed
Posts: 180
Registered: ‎12-19-2012

Apping with Credit Freeze

I am just wondering if anyone apps knowing that there credit files are froze just to see which report they will pull for future apps.  Do you think that there would be a negative to that?

 

I dont plan on apping for a long time but I was considering on appling for a few cards just to see which file they were going to pull.  Two reasons for this would be.  One I would only app for the ones that were going to pull the file that I wanted.  Two I would not have to unfreeze all  Three just for one  app.

 

I was thinking that it might throw a flag when I actually want to apply.  Has anyone done this before?

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Regular Contributor
mr_postman
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎01-17-2008

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

I froze my Experian to see if CITI and Chase will pull EQ or TU no go they want me to unfreeze my EX if i wanted to continue with the app. Also app for Amex automatic cancell application.

Super Contributor
CS800
Posts: 6,547
Registered: ‎04-07-2008

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

I have all 3 frozen and no one can pull. But they do tell you which one to unfreeze if you want to apply. I know CITI asked me to unfreeze EX.




Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze


staifokuzed wrote:

I am just wondering if anyone apps knowing that there credit files are froze just to see which report they will pull for future apps.  Do you think that there would be a negative to that?

 

I dont plan on apping for a long time but I was considering on appling for a few cards just to see which file they were going to pull.  Two reasons for this would be.  One I would only app for the ones that were going to pull the file that I wanted.  Two I would not have to unfreeze all  Three just for one  app.

 

I was thinking that it might throw a flag when I actually want to apply.  Has anyone done this before?


This practice (trying to control what reports lenders pull via freeze) is frowned upon my myfico and these forums. It is considered unethical. :smileywink:




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Super Contributor
enharu
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎02-27-2013

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

If you don't want to waste money unfreezing, you can just apply first. The lender will tell you which bureau to unfreeze specifically and there's rarely any negotiation or bargaining as to have them change the bureau they want to pull from

Some lenders might sense something fishy going on and pull all 3 in the end, especially if you talked to a human recon trying to get them pull somewhere else.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze


enharu wrote:
If you don't want to waste money unfreezing, you can just apply first. The lender will tell you which bureau to unfreeze specifically and there's rarely any negotiation or bargaining as to have them change the bureau they want to pull from

Some lenders might sense something fishy going on and pull all 3 in the end, especially if you talked to a human recon trying to get them pull somewhere else.

More than likely this is what will happen.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Regular Contributor
staifokuzed
Posts: 180
Registered: ‎12-19-2012

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

I was thinking that it was unethical LS. Let me reword to a more specific question. After gardening for a while i want to try for discover. I did searches for which they will pull (50/50 TU EQ). If I applied now and don't unlock my file. Then when ready to apply I unlock that CR and reapply. I don't want them to be forced to do another report. Just a little preparation.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze


staifokuzed wrote:
I was thinking that it was unethical LS. Let me reword to a more specific question. After gardening for a while i want to try for discover. I did searches for which they will pull (50/50 TU EQ). If I applied now and don't unlock my file. Then when ready to apply I unlock that CR and reapply. I don't want them to be forced to do another report. Just a little preparation.

I understand.

 

You should also know that whatever file they pull there is no guarantee they will pull that same file when you apply down the road. If you are considered borderline approval to them they may also pull additional bureaus.

 

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Regular Contributor
staifokuzed
Posts: 180
Registered: ‎12-19-2012

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

Good point Ls. Seems unwise to attempt it. I have been thinking about for a couple of days just needed some outside input. So what i am gathering is that when ready to apply just apply then unlock requested reports.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze


staifokuzed wrote:
Good point Ls. Seems unwise to attempt it. I have been thinking about for a couple of days just needed some outside input. So what i am gathering is that when ready to apply just apply then unlock requested reports.

I would unfreeze your files then apply. Your only asking for more questions from them and possible multiple HP's by apping with the freezes intact.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+