Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Barclay Visa Approval

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Apple Barclay Visa Approval

I've gone and cancelled my cap one and tomorrow my orchard will get the axe.

Now that I will be using my Zync as my primary card, thought it might be smart to have a Visa logo card (aside from my MC logo'd debit card) in the event I'm somewhere amex is not accepted.

Went to apple store, and applied online.  Was given the 7-10 day statement, so I immediately called for recon.  Lady asked some clarifying questions about my repo and recent unsecured loan, and approved me for 1k as she noted that I've had perfect payment history post-repo.

Since I know Barclay will close the account for app'ing between the next 6-12 months, I guess that means I'm done for a while.

Although no where near top-tier cards, as of recent approvals, I believe the strides I've made have been great and can only imagine what some gardening will bring in a year or two (once the repo falls off in 2 years...and another 4 years until last collection falls off)

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Apple Barclay Visa Approval

@Repo-ed wrote:

Now that I will be using my Zync as my primary card, thought it might be smart to have a Visa logo card (aside from my MC logo'd debit card) in the event I'm somewhere amex is not accepted.

Went to apple store, and applied online.  Was given the 7-10 day statement, so I immediately called for recon.  Lady asked some clarifying questions about my repo and recent unsecured loan, and approved me for 1k as she noted that I've had perfect payment history post-repo.

Since I know Barclay will close the account for app'ing between the next 6-12 months, I guess that means I'm done for a while.

Although no where near top-tier cards, as of recent approvals, I believe the strides I've made have been great and can only imagine what some gardening will bring in a year or two (once the repo falls off in 2 years...and another 4 years until last collection falls off)

I wouldn't quite say that about Barclay. They approved a no-AF, $1,000 co-branded VISA for what is the premier consumer electronic producer in the world. I think you're closer to "prime" than you think Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 2 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Congrats on the approval !!   I'd recommend having at least 3 open revolving accounts, FICO usually likes to see several.    It's true that Barclay has shut people down for opening a lot of new accounts, but I don't think you would be targeted if you happened to open another account in the near future...

And I agree that you are in good shape with your recent approvals ~ nice job !!  Smiley Wink

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

I wouldn't quite say that about Barclay. They approved a no-AF, $1,000 co-branded VISA for what is the premier consumer electronic producer in the world. I think you're closer to "prime" than you think Smiley Happy

Wow, I never even thought to look at it that way Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for giving me some enlightment!

Message 4 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Congrats on the approval !!   I'd recommend having at least 3 open revolving accounts, FICO usually likes to see several.    It's true that Barclay has shut people down for opening a lot of new accounts, but I don't think you would be targeted if you happened to open another account in the near future...

And I agree that you are in good shape with your recent approvals ~ nice job !!  Smiley Wink

Thank you VERY much for the kudos! Man Very Happy

Message 5 of 14
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Why do you think Barclay closes your account if you app for new accounts? Is this is like a security thing?

They fear that you might be in financial trouble or something? 

Current Cards:
Message 6 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@altayar wrote:

Why do you think Barclay closes your account if you app for new accounts? Is this is like a security thing?

Some lenders are more paranoid than others when it comes to keeping an eye on new accounts.   Basically they are worried that someone who opens a lot of accounts within a short period of time could be at risk of running up a lot of debt, being unable to repay, and then defaulting. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@altayar wrote:

Some lenders are more paranoid than others when it comes to keeping an eye on new accounts.   Basically they are worried that someone who opens a lot of accounts within a short period of time could be at risk of running up a lot of debt, being unable to repay, and then defaulting. 

+1

Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Some forum members (hi me!) have a tendency to open up more accounts than the norm for the typical consumer, which tends to sent off warning flags and possible Adverse Action (AA) from various lenders.  Barclay's is known to be more picky than most in that regard.  Like anything credit-related this is very much YMMV.

Repoed: building up to the higher tier credit cards is a multi-step process from where you were or where I am now.  You've moved up one of the steps, seriously, congratulations are in order!

        
Message 9 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Some forum members (hi me!) have a tendency to open up more accounts than the norm for the typical consumer, which tends to sent off warning flags and possible Adverse Action (AA) from various lenders.  Barclay's is known to be more picky than most in that regard.  Like anything credit-related this is very much YMMV.

Repoed: building up to the higher tier credit cards is a multi-step process from where you were or where I am now.  You've moved up one of the steps, seriously, congratulations are in order!

Thank you, again.

I certainly am very happy with the progress that I've made since finding this site just 4 months ago.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.