cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Federal Credit Union: any current experience with them and their cards?

tag
lmoore1989

Re: Apple Federal Credit Union: any current experience with them and their cards?

They're pretty good and generous with the credit limits. I got my auto loan through them without being a member. A week or two later I applied for a cc through them and even with my troubled credit history I got a 1k starting limit. I've only had the card for about 3 months, so not long enough to see how often or generous they are with CLIs but they've been decent so far in terms of extending credit. The only downside is their site and mobile app are like taking a time traveling trip back to the 90's! Just as an fyi, all of their credit applications go through an actual underwriter, so processing for credit card apps isn't instant. It took them 2 days to get back to me and when they did it was an email from an actual person stating that I was approved. 

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Federal Credit Union: any current experience with them and their cards?

@lmoore1989 wrote:

They're pretty good and generous with the credit limits. I got my auto loan through them without being a member. A week or two later I applied for a cc through them and even with my troubled credit history I got a 1k starting limit. I've only had the card for about 3 months, so not long enough to see how often or generous they are with CLIs but they've been decent so far in terms of extending credit. The only downside is their site and mobile app are like taking a time traveling trip back to the 90's! Just as an fyi, all of their credit applications go through an actual underwriter, so processing for credit card apps isn't instant. It took them 2 days to get back to me and when they did it was an email from an actual person stating that I was approved. 

It's nice to have a financial institution small enough that your credit applications aren't automatically (ahem) handled by a computer, that's for sure...Apple, like Navy and I believe Justice, has branches close to where I live, so when I get around to applying to join more than one of them, I may well do so in person!

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I should update - I joined Apple FCU weekend before last. You can join with a minimum of $5 to savings, but I decided to open a checking account with debit card as well; this requires a minimum of $15, so I funded savings and checking with $25 (I'm in the process of linking up my BoA and Penfed accounts for transfers back and forth). I wasn't sure whether I could apply for a credit card upon joining, but the nice lady at the Sudley Manor (Manassas, VA) branch assured me I could, so I went ahead; they pull TU. My app was sent to review and approved for a Platinum Visa the following Monday. Apple actually mails its new credit cards from Omaha, like a lot of other financial institutions, but they can produce debit cards on the spot at their branches like many other CU's - now why can't BoA do something like that, I wonder?

@lmoore1989: I asked about CLI's and PC's when I got my Platinum Visa; their website doesn't seem to have a CLI button, so I guess you have to call them or go to them directly. Also, from what I was told they seem to be fairly conservative about PC'ing; they said I could be considered for an upgrade to Visa Rewards after at least 6 months but probably should allow up to 12 months. I don't remember if they gave a specific timeframe for CLI's but I'd assume at least 3 months, maybe 6 to be on the safe side.

Message 13 of 24
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also membership for Apple FCU is open to anyone and not just those who reside in that part of VA.  Just join NVADACA and you're in 

http://www.nvadaca.org/

Irish80,

Is joining NVADACA still a viable path for Apple FCU?

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lamplight2012 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also membership for Apple FCU is open to anyone and not just those who reside in that part of VA.  Just join NVADACA and you're in 

http://www.nvadaca.org/

Irish80,

Is joining NVADACA still a viable path for Apple FCU?

Yup

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to ask a new question; is it possible to apply for CLI's for Apple FCU cards via the website, and if so, how long after a new account is approved and opened does it take for that functionality to show up on a member's account page? I've had my Platinum Visa since late June and I don't see a "luv button" or anything like that on my card account page. Kind of odd since everyone else does (Penfed's is a text link instead of button and asks you for more information, but works the same way).

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked on their chat how to get a Credit Limit increase... they said you had to apply like you're applying for a new credit card for a CLI.  It seemed weird to me, but I had a $500 credit limit so it was either that or close the card.  I went through the application and I put $2500 as the requested credit limit. They called to tell me that I quailified for their new Signature Visa card but that it had a minimum CL of $5000 so if I was ok with them giving me that limit.  I told them I just randomly picked $2500, so that was fine.. she told me that I actually was approved up to $10k.  I took the $10k Smiley Happy  I went from a $500 card I was considering cancelling to a $10K signature visa.  AFCU is moving up in my book. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked on their chat how to get a Credit Limit increase... they said you had to apply like you're applying for a new credit card for a CLI.  It seemed weird to me, but I had a $500 credit limit so it was either that or close the card.  I went through the application and I put $2500 as the requested credit limit. They called to tell me that I quailified for their new Signature Visa card but that it had a minimum CL of $5000 so if I was ok with them giving me that limit.  I told them I just randomly picked $2500, so that was fine.. she told me that I actually was approved up to $10k.  I took the $10k Smiley Happy  I went from a $500 card I was considering cancelling to a $10K signature visa.  AFCU is moving up in my book. Smiley Happy

Good to know. I'm starting a new garden phase now, so that'll have to wait until sometime in 2018 then. I was in the 640's TU when I got my Platinum, so it'll probably be advisable to wait for that score to get up some more over the next few months at least.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does it still hold true that you have to apply for a CLI on an existing card in the method you described above back in October? As it happens, the procedure you described is something like Penfed's (I got a CLI from them in early November). My scores have improved to the point that I think it's worth trying, particularly since I got a $10K Visa Signature from Cap One last week and I'm looking at whether I can get an upgrade on my Penfed PCR (now at $7K) to Signature.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know it is still the same process. I haven’t tried to increase the credit line so nice I upgraded to the signature visa. You might want to contact them to make sure
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.