Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Financing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Financing?

Hello,

I am a student probably about to buy a MacBook Pro. Currently my credit score fluctuates greatly because I almost always have to max most of my 4 cards before I get financial aid and can pay them off or at least down greatly.

So right now it is pretty bad, TU 578. But I have just recently paid 3 of the 4 cards off completely, and credit simulators estimate that my score will go up to 697. 

I have the cash to buy the laptop right now but it would be nice to finance some of it and save some of my financial aid in case I can't work much through finals. Is it likely I could get financed if my score goes up that much? And how often do they update your score?

Basically I don't want to wait if that won't be high enough but I am willing to wait even if it only takes a portion of the cost off up front.

I make about 20k a year, if that matters.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Apple Financing?

Get your reports clean first of all if you have any baddies and stuff like that and make sure you get your actual FICO scores so we can better determine what you need to do.

If you have a TU FICO in the 650s or greater, I think you'd have a shot at Barclays Apple Visa. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 8
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I am a student probably about to buy a MacBook Pro. Currently my credit score fluctuates greatly because I almost always have to max most of my 4 cards before I get financial aid and can pay them off or at least down greatly.

So right now it is pretty bad, TU 578. But I have just recently paid 3 of the 4 cards off completely, and credit simulators estimate that my score will go up to 697. 

I have the cash to buy the laptop right now but it would be nice to finance some of it and save some of my financial aid in case I can't work much through finals. Is it likely I could get financed if my score goes up that much? And how often do they update your score?

Basically I don't want to wait if that won't be high enough but I am willing to wait even if it only takes a portion of the cost off up front.

I make about 20k a year, if that matters.

Thanks

Score may be too low for Barclay, I wouldn't trust those score simlutaors as far as I could throw them. Barclay may also have an issue with the high utilaztion.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fico TU is 631, but it is showing the high utilization, which is no longer true. my utilization is now down considerably, which should make my score go up. How often does the score update?

Message 4 of 8
DawgZ
Contributor

My Fico seems to update once a month when I lower my utilization. I applied for the Apple card last year and was approved at 650 with 2 baddies. I got a $750 CL but called for RECON and they bumped it to $2k. Good luck.

My Wallet - Cap1 Visa Signature $13k, Chase Saphire Prefered $13.5k, Well's Fargo Rewards $10k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC $6.5k, Cap1 Quicksilver V $4k, Chase Freedom $9k, Discover IT $7.5k, Amex BCE $34k, Amazon/Chase $2.5k,PenFed V $10.5k, Amex Green

EQ 810(Fico), EX 806 (Fico), TU 815 (Fico)

Message 5 of 8
Mellon
Established Contributor

If you do get the card be sure to ask for the rewards version.. if it isn't already standard now

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got 3.5k

Score all around 730

and my overall debt is around 2.5k between all my cards. 

i make about 40k a year but varies on my comissions.

With that when i applyed i was left pending for manual review which i call the back numbers and i was able to get approved after a series of questions.

if i were you i would pay it most of it cash and the rest with my current cards.

Hope it helps!

Message 7 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

You will be fine after fico updates and your util goes way down. even if the simulator is not exact. your score will go up a lot from 4 maxed out cards. im sure you will be fine. just before you app make sure you check your fico scores. you should have a ideal when your lenders report. thus giving you a ideal when your fico score will go up. good luck.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.