Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple pay, ISIS, Tap to pay questions.

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Apple pay, ISIS, Tap to pay questions.

I am intrigued  with all this new talk of using phones nfc chip to pay for things. I have an few question whether its apple pay, ISIS, or google tap and pay, whats the consensus on the proper rewards you should be getting if you are using an card that has category spending. For example say if you use CSP, Citi Premeir, or Amex EDP. WIll you get bonus spending for gas, groceries, or restaurant spending ? Or is it an major YMMV. 

The other question is what is difference between using ISIS and google tap and pay. Is it all marketing push? i know isis is pushed my major carriers and an lot of banks. I saw that Chase is pushing isis mobile payments. Is there an real difference between using ISIS and Goolge Tap and pay. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Apple pay, ISIS, Tap to pay questions.

As I said in another thread, one should be getting their rewards no matter which platform they use. I don't have much experience with ISIS - and I am pretty sure it will die a quiet death - but with respect to Apple Pay and Google Wallet:

• Google Wallet transmits the merchant name intact, with a "*googlewallet*" in front, and does not change the store category while transmitting. Hence, there should be no reason why you don't get the reward. I have always gotten mine.
  • Apple Pay only works with banks which have made deals with Apple - and presumably the rewards stuff is part of that deal. So if your card comes from one of those banks, then you should also be fine.
Message 2 of 39
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

As I said in another thread, one should be getting their rewards no matter which platform they use. I don't have much experience with ISIS - and I am pretty sure it will die a quiet death - but with respect to Apple Pay and Google Wallet:

• Google Wallet transmits the merchant name intact, with a "*googlewallet*" in front, and does not change the store category while transmitting. Hence, there should be no reason why you don't get the reward. I have always gotten mine.
  • Apple Pay only works with banks which have made deals with Apple - and presumably the rewards stuff is part of that deal. So if your card comes from one of those banks, then you should also be fine.

ISIS, now called Softcard will not die easily. It is a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. When you use tap to pay with Softcard it's just like swiping your card, so rewards stay intact. 

Message 3 of 39
yfan
Valued Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

ISIS, now called Softcard will not die easily. It is a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. When you use tap to pay with Softcard it's just like swiping your card, so rewards stay intact. 

If the carriers still had hope for Softcard, they wouldn't have allowed Apple to bring Apple Pay to the market. It's just that simple. iPhones take up roughly half the high-end phone market (people more likely to use this technology), Android the other half, with Android also dominating the budget market. ISIS/Softcard has neither Google's hold on everything online nor Apple's ad budget. Unless Softcard wants to start paying manufacturers to support NFC on all phones, I don't see any way for them to survive.

Message 4 of 39
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

If the carriers still had hope for Softcard, they wouldn't have allowed Apple to bring Apple Pay to the market. It's just that simple. iPhones take up roughly half the high-end phone market (people more likely to use this technology), Android the other half, with Android also dominating the budget market. ISIS/Softcard has neither Google's hold on everything online nor Apple's ad budget. Unless Softcard wants to start paying manufacturers to support NFC on all phones, I don't see any way for them to survive.

If apple wants to do something I'm pretty sure there isn't a company who can stop them. Softcard will also be compatible with iPhones in the future, Softcard is also currently compatible with a huge amount of phones already. I see this as a two horse race, despite google being a player they don't seem to have any focus on making google wallet a competitor. 

Message 5 of 39
Gollum
Established Contributor

October 2015 is when the "liability shift" http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/06/october-2015-the-end-of-the-swipe-and-sign-cr... goes into effect.  Whichever entity is using inferior technology will be responsible financially if there is credit card fraud.  Most of the U.S. credit card industry (including merchants) will presumably switch to tap and pay technology to avoid the liability.  I think proprietary smart-phone tap and pay technology that is limited to specific banks and/or cellphone networks will lose out to whatever Visa and MasterCard issuers back.  So far, that seems to be Google Wallet, IMHO.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 6 of 39
yfan
Valued Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

If apple wants to do something I'm pretty sure there isn't a company who can stop them. Softcard will also be compatible with iPhones in the future, Softcard is also currently compatible with a huge amount of phones already. I see this as a two horse race, despite google being a player they don't seem to have any focus on making google wallet a competitor. 

If that's true, carriers have had an even smaller focus on making Softcard a competitor. There's next to no awareness of Softcard among consumers, and there's next to no possibility of Softcard ever becoming a serious competitor in this space. What carriers surrendered with Apple Pay is their control over the Secure Element - which they hadn't with Google Wallet. Google decided to sidestep the Secure Element by using the cloud to authenticate. But carriers won't be able to retain their contorl over the Secure Element in certain phones but not others. Samsung will sue the pants off of them, for example, should they decide to enter the mobile payment market too. Without control of the Secure Element, Softcard has nothing.

We don't have to agree. Time will tell which one of us is right.

Message 7 of 39
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am intrigued  with all this new talk of using phones nfc chip to pay for things. I have an few question whether its apple pay, ISIS, or google tap and pay, whats the consensus on the proper rewards you should be getting if you are using an card that has category spending. For example say if you use CSP, Citi Premeir, or Amex EDP. WIll you get bonus spending for gas, groceries, or restaurant spending ? Or is it an major YMMV. 

You don't need consensus.  You can check with the sources.

For Apple Pay all we can go on is what they've said so far given that it hasn't been rolled out yet.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

The major credit cards. With the same major benefits.
Apple Pay works with most of the major credit and debit cards from the top U.S. banks. Just add your participating cards to Passbook and you’ll continue to get all the rewards, benefits, and security of your cards.

For the others:

https://www.paywithisis.com/learn.html

Add a participating American Express®¥, Chase®‡, or Wells Fargo®§ credit card and get all the same perks and benefits from your card issuer.

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/2688794?hl=en&ref_topic=3210037

You may not earn certain reward points and benefits for purchases through your card issuer's credit or debit card rewards program (such as overall spending and purchase protection or insurance). Keep in mind that for purchases where Google Wallet facilitates the payment and then charges your selected card, the amount charged to your registered card is charged by Google Wallet and not by the merchant where you make a purchase.

@yfan wrote:

If the carriers still had hope for Softcard, they wouldn't have allowed Apple to bring Apple Pay to the market. It's just that simple.

They really aren't the gatekeepers (not for Apple anyway) that your comment makes them out to be.  Android devices where updates have to be approved by the carriers (which is not all Android devices IIRC) are more susceptible.

Message 8 of 39
Josh2942
Established Contributor

The only new one is apple pay. Google tap to pay has been around since 2011.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 9 of 39
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I tried reading thru all the posts here, and I am still an little confused I am going to just try it out and see what happens. I will try it at few different places like cvs, starbucks, and home depot, if they have nfc payments there. 

As far as ISIS vs Google Wallet, I think isis in the end will probably win out. They have 3 of the 4 major carriers in tow, and some of the bigger banks, so they probably have more money to throw at guranteeing their service will win out. I recall an while ago vzw and att blocked wallet even working on their phones so they could promote isis. I don't know if that is true anymore. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.