Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Strategy: One INQ to Burn

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application Strategy: One INQ to Burn

Since all my CRs are free of INQS, I am thinking of a mini-spree burning one per CR.

AFAIK, Barclays is a consistent TU puller.  Any others exclusively pull TU?

I do not want tp pay $10 to unfreeze EX, so I will give a miss to any exclusive EX pullers.

That leaves EQ.  I burned one INQ on NFCU and will burn one more on USAA for a CLI.  That leaves me one EQ left I am willing to burn.  Any ideas about the following:

BOA

Citibank

Wells Fargo

US Bank

Which of the above pull EQ and which one is the least likely to decline for 2 INQS?

For some reason every time I app BOA they give me the b.s. line of "no mortgage accounts" as a reason for disapproval.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Application Strategy: One INQ to Burn

I believe

Boa is primarily EX

Citi is generally EQ

US Bank is primarily TU

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 11
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I would go for US Bank for a TU hit or Discover if you dont already have one.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:
I would go for US Bank for a TU hit or Discover if you dont already have one.

I have Discover, and I am leaning towards your suggestion of US Bank.  I wonder how they are for approvals?

Message 4 of 11
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I got approved for the Flexperks Select Visa back in late November with no relationship or Us Bank in my state for 12.5k and they pulled TU. Score wad about 749 at the time of approval.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:
I got approved for the Flexperks Select Visa back in late November with no relationship or Us Bank in my state for 12.5k and they pulled TU. Score wad about 749 at the time of approval.

I just checked my spreadsheet and I applied on a supposedly preapproval w/ US Bank a year ago and got shot down:

- Length of time accounts have been established
- Number of inquiries within the past twelve months
- Length of time revolving / open accounts have been established

I'm wondering if the one year that has passed is sufficient to stand a decent chance.  I think my TU is about 740 now.

Message 6 of 11
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

I just checked my spreadsheet and I applied on a supposedly preapproval w/ US Bank a year ago and got shot down:

I'm wondering if the one year that has passed is sufficient to stand a decent chance.  I think my TU is about 740 now.

That's all on you Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

I live in an area where almost everyone uses TU.  However, US Bank has always pulled EQ for me for any apps or CLI requests.  However, I do know that they monitor TU for existing customers--I once got a CLD from them and their explanation was that they saw something they didn't like on the TU report that they review monthly.

FYI...not sure what the OP's scores are, but US Bank will require a minimum 680 FICO.

ETA:  Re-read the thread and realized OP posted score in later message.  Sounds like the 680 requirement won't be an issue--they should approve.

Message 8 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Well, IMO it should be more than sufficient. I got their flex perks select visa this january (my history was only 1 year old) and they gave me 8000 CL (my highest CL at that point was 2250). I applied using the pre approval they had sent me and it was an instant online approval.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 9 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I just wanted to throw  my 2 cents in  about US Bank.  I live in So calif  and they pulled EX for me.  However,  they gave me two cards for the one hard pull.  I have their Flexperks and their Platinum card.  I have voiced my opinion about them before, but I will do it again.  They have always been a great bank to deal with.  Good luck to you in your final decision. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.