cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application for Amex charge card in 2 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application for Amex charge card in 2 months?

I asked for your adivice about a month ago when I got denied for a Chase Freedom because of a lack of credit history (no credit score), maybe some of you still remember the thread. A week later I applied for a Discover it and got approved.

I am finally able to get a credit score on creditkarma.com after having my Discover it for a month and a Chase Sapphire for 4 months (authorized user). My credit score on creditkarma is 676 and vantage score is 632 (not sure which one is the more important one). Does this make it easier for me to get approved for a new card now/soon?

Do you think I would have a good chance to get approved for an Amex charge card in 2 months from now given my current situation? I will have 3 months with my Discover it and 6 months with the Chase Sapphire (AU) in 2 months. I just want to make sure that I don't misinterpret all of this and apply too early because I'm overeager.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application for Amex charge card in 2 months?

I think you should wait a little bit more. Do you know what is your EX Fico score? Amex will pul your EX report

Message 2 of 25
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you should wait a little bit more. Do you know what is your EX Fico score? Amex will pul your EX report

+1. When it's time to apply, gets an idea of what your EX FICO score is. That is what AMEX will be looking at.

I still think it's quite early for you to apply. I would wait until your Discover is at least 6 months old. I don't think you being an AU on the CSP will matter as much to AMEX.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase pulled my Experian score a month ago when I got denied and it was 681. It said that they looked at my credit risk score. I haven't checked since then.

Message 4 of 25
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase pulled my Experian score a month ago when I got denied and it was 681. It said that they looked at my credit risk score. I haven't checked since then.

Okay. When I was approved for my AMEX cards I was around 670. So at this point though that score is in range of approvals and helpful to know, it's now less about that and more about the history. Though YMMV, I would wait until the 6 month mark on your Discover to be safe.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay. When I was approved for my AMEX cards I was around 670. So at this point though that score is in range of approvals and helpful to know, it's now less about that and more about the history. Though YMMV, I would wait until the 6 month mark on your Discover to be safe.

Alright, thanks. I will wait until I have 6 months history on the discover.

I also have questions about the charge cards after comparing on the amex website. I do not have a problem paying a higher annual fee if the rewards that I am getting for it are worth it. The problem is that I am not traveling a lot (maybe once a year) and I do not own a car, so the high fee for the Platinum or PRG seems like it's not worth it. I started looking at the regular gold card and green card and was wondering: are there any differences between those 2 cards except that one of them is gold and the other one is green? The fee is lower for gold and green but the rewards are not very good. What do you think is the better option in my situation and do you think it still makes sense for me to consider PRG or Platinum?

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit risk score is not fico so it's useless along with the score from credit karma. Get real ficos only to know your score. 

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit risk score is not fico so it's useless along with the score from credit karma. Get real ficos only to know your score. 

Thanks, I will get the real fico scores before I will apply in 5 months. The only way to get the fico scores is on myfico.com, right?

Message 8 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked for your adivice about a month ago when I got denied for a Chase Freedom because of a lack of credit history (no credit score), maybe some of you still remember the thread. A week later I applied for a Discover it and got approved.

I am finally able to get a credit score on creditkarma.com after having my Discover it for a month and a Chase Sapphire for 4 months (authorized user). My credit score on creditkarma is 676 and vantage score is 632 (not sure which one is the more important one). Does this make it easier for me to get approved for a new card now/soon?

Do you think I would have a good chance to get approved for an Amex charge card in 2 months from now given my current situation? I will have 3 months with my Discover it and 6 months with the Chase Sapphire (AU) in 2 months. I just want to make sure that I don't misinterpret all of this and apply too early because I'm overeager.

Thanks for your help.

Just an FYI YMMV

The fact that you have FAKO scores from CK and Vantage score does not mean you have in fact generated a Fico score it usually takes a full 6 months 

That being said I recommend pulling Fico scores before any new apps just to be safe 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Just an FYI YMMV

The fact that you have FAKO scores from CK and Vantage score does not mean you have in fact generated a Fico score it usually takes a full 6 months 

That being said I recommend pulling Fico scores before any new apps just to be safe 

I can see my TU FICO through my Discover it and I don't have a score there yet. Maybe I will pull all the FICO scores after I have a TU in my discover account.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.