Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application of Payments To Balance/Interest

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application of Payments To Balance/Interest

Does anybody know if Capital One will allow me to dictate where my extra payments go as far as interest/principle balance? Some banks will let you apply extra payments to the principle balance, knocking it down without having part of your payment going towards any interest. 

Considering I am going to be paying them 5x the minimum payment at a time, maybe they'll let me do that. Has anybody tried asking them?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application of Payments To Balance/Interest

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anybody know if Capital One will allow me to dictate where my extra payments go as far as interest/principle balance? Some banks will let you apply extra payments to the principle balance, knocking it down without having part of your payment going towards any interest. 

Considering I am going to be paying them 5x the minimum payment at a time, maybe they'll let me do that. Has anybody tried asking them?

That's not how it works. Your monthly interest is added to and becomes principal. You can look at it however you prefer. 

What should happen is your payments will be applied to higher interest balances first. That was not the case long ago. 

Message 2 of 5
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving credit accounts don't work this way. You're thinking of loans. 

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're over-thinking this... with a credit card, any amount you pay over the minimum will be applied to the principal balance. 

The interest on any balance you're carrying (assuming you don't PIF) accrues daily, and is added at the end of the month.  With some installment loans (such as mortgages) you would have a need to specify principal vs. interest if you pay more than the minimum, but for credit cards there's nothing to worry about.

This is assuming you've got a 'standard' revolving balance.  If you have a promotional APR on a portion of your balance, the "rules" can vary a little depending on the issuer, but that's for another thread.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarifications, everybody. I thought you could do the same thing with a credit card that you can with a loan. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.