Account Set-up  NoneProgram Fee  None

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Applied Bank® Secured Visa® Gold Credit Card

I can almost guarantee you will not see that 9.99 apr
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 15
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

The first secured card I had, when starting to build credit, was from Applied Bank. I closed it 4 or 5 months after opening, when I found much better secured cards at my local credit unions. 

The biggest issue I had with them, was the $6.95 "convenience fee", to make an online payment. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 3 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
I can almost guarantee you will not see that 9.99 apr

+1

I don't like CreditOne Bank and they will be getting the axe this year as soon as my year is completed, I HATE paying interest from when the charge posts!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 15
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

I have this card and I like it for now. so let me give you in-depth review on it.

a) The website is little 90s..kinda something a child would built, however there is no fee for making payments, and they get posted rather quickly 24-48 hours.

b) APR is really 9.99% and no annual fee for the first year. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD FOR APR SO IT STARTS RIGHT AFTER PURCHASE. Now after 12 months there is a monthly maintenance fee like $9.95 a month so I will be cancelling this card on month 10 or 11.

c) THEY ONLY REPORT TO TU and EX..Not EQUIFAX. Just be mindful of that.

d) For some reason I cannot find an option to turn off receiving statement home...not sure why...but oh well let them send it.

e) Haven't had horrible customer service but not great either. Their IVR is too long and goes through like 3 or 4 messages about your account balance before it puts your through the live agent.

Overall it's a decent card with decent APR and No annual fee for first year. It got me off the ground and now I have CreditOne, 2 HSBC cards and Capital One. Overall I had it for 4 months and had no issues with surprise charges and fees..everything is laid out pretty nice, except the fact it looks like a website that was built by a graduate student that just started web hosting..LOL..

1 glitch I found...I made a payment the day after a statement once..so the day it showed NEW DUE DATE and MINIMUM DUE I made it and although it posted and showed...it did not reset it to show MINIMUM DUE $0...I called and they told me since they see it not to worry about it, but me being cautious I did it anyway two weeks later and it was good. Since then I wait at least a week after the new due date, Minimum due shows and it's fine...once again..website glitch..

Oh...and it took like 2 weeks to hear something back even though they took my money..but it's all good....once again great rebuilder..but that is about it...this will be getting cancelled before month 11 just so the maintaneance fees won't hit...by then my other cards will age and overall I onyl have $250 tied in it so my UTIL is not an issue.

Hope that helps.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 5 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MarcinXP wrote:

I have this card and I like it for now. so let me give you in-depth review on it.

a) The website is little 90s..kinda something a child would built, however there is no fee for making payments, and they get posted rather quickly 24-48 hours.

b) APR is really 9.99% and no annual fee for the first year. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD FOR APR SO IT STARTS RIGHT AFTER PURCHASE. Now after 12 months there is a monthly maintenance fee like $9.95 a month so I will be cancelling this card on month 10 or 11.

c) THEY ONLY REPORT TO TU and EX..Not EQUIFAX. Just be mindful of that.

d) For some reason I cannot find an option to turn off receiving statement home...not sure why...but oh well let them send it.

e) Haven't had horrible customer service but not great either. Their IVR is too long and goes through like 3 or 4 messages about your account balance before it puts your through the live agent.

Overall it's a decent card with decent APR and No annual fee for first year. It got me off the ground and now I have CreditOne, 2 HSBC cards and Capital One. Overall I had it for 4 months and had no issues with surprise charges and fees..everything is laid out pretty nice, except the fact it looks like a website that was built by a graduate student that just started web hosting..LOL..

1 glitch I found...I made a payment the day after a statement once..so the day it showed NEW DUE DATE and MINIMUM DUE I made it and although it posted and showed...it did not reset it to show MINIMUM DUE $0...I called and they told me since they see it not to worry about it, but me being cautious I did it anyway two weeks later and it was good. Since then I wait at least a week after the new due date, Minimum due shows and it's fine...once again..website glitch..

Oh...and it took like 2 weeks to hear something back even though they took my money..but it's all good....once again great rebuilder..but that is about it...this will be getting cancelled before month 11 just so the maintaneance fees won't hit...by then my other cards will age and overall I onyl have $250 tied in it so my UTIL is not an issue.

Hope that helps.

Thise should be reasons for people to pass on this card. If you don't mind paying for it, go ahead!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

Has anyone heard of or own this CC?

• 9.99% Low fixed APR
  • Monthly Credit Bureau Reporting.
  • Credit limit ranges from $200 to $5,000
  • Guaranteed approval when you sign up
  • NO credit checks
Membership Fees:
Annual  $50Monthly  None
One-time Fees:

I've never seen an APR under 18% for a secured. I have seen as high as 25%

Message 7 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@2NE1 wrote:

Has anyone heard of or own this CC?

• 9.99% Low fixed APR
  • Monthly Credit Bureau Reporting.
  • Credit limit ranges from $200 to $5,000
  • Guaranteed approval when you sign up
  • NO credit checks
Membership Fees:
Annual  $50Monthly  None
One-time Fees:

I've never seen an APR under 18% for a secured. I have seen as high as 25%

They can do 9.99% APR when their charging interest from the date of purchase.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

There's always a way they get you.

Message 9 of 15
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Hi.

This was one of my rebuilder cards when I first starting rebuilding my credit.  Loved it.  Hated the annual fee, so after my scores went up, I cancelled the card.  But it served its purpose. 

Another plus for Applied Bank: When I closed the card, and asked for my security deposit back, the agent told me it could take up to 30 days, but I had my money back within 7 business days. Sweet.

Overall, it's a good rebuilder card. It's kinda hard to find a secured card with no annual fee. They're out there though.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.