Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied and CapOne

tag
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Applied and CapOne

Applied was gotten in Aug of 2012 and CapOne in Nov. Both are secured cards. I'm fed up with them and want to cancel. Will this dramatically effect my scores which are in the mid 600's?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Applied and CapOne

It depends on your credit profile. Are these your only cards? It may affect your util rate if you cancel but since the Applied isn't very old and it will stay on for 10 yrs anyways, it won't affect your aaoa. If these are your only cards, I would try to get another card to replace this one and then cancel. Others on the forum have great suggestions when it comes to secure cards. But with mid 600's, I bet you could qualify for CUs. Or you could try going for a card with the shopping card trick. Just do a search and there are tons of posts on how and what cards you can get. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 8
brindle26
Regular Contributor

My sig shows the cards I have. 8.86% utility is 8.86%. which is where I keep it at regardless of my total credit limit.I realize that it would lower my total credit limit. Should that be a concern with low scores, young aoaa and 8 HP's in the last 6 months? I'd lose two junk TL's, but what if my wife added me to her new CapOne rewards card?

Message 3 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 8
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I would apply for your own CapOne Rewards card. Just make sure it's the MC, not Visa; the Visas are for excellent credit. I think you have a good shot at it.
Message 5 of 8
brindle26
Regular Contributor

They already denied me because of to many inq's.

Message 6 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

How many HP's are you showing across all three CRAs in the past two years?

Message 7 of 8
brindle26
Regular Contributor

eight

What I want to do is get my $600.00 back and put some in my AMEX savings and some in my DCU savings. I'm thinking at my age 68 that I'd rather build a relationship with DCU & Amex than piddle around with these two sub-prime rebuilder go nowhere cards.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.