Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied and approved for a bunch of cards- bad idea? having second thoughts :(

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: No FTF means no foreign transaction fees

I wouldn't call it a no-brainer because the cash back card can be very hard to get.  I posted a lengthy thread on my experience, but in short:  I applied twice.  First time I got shot down because I had ONE inq from another CU on my TU report, and also because I wasn't carrying balances.  Second time I got shot down because I didn't have enough $10k cards, and they claim the minimum is $10k for their cash back visa signature card.  I ended up getting stuck with the silly CURewards card where if you spend $100k in a year you might get a barbeque mitt or something.  Your scores and limits look great but they might not like your other accounts.

You're also talking about getting the Fidelity Amex.... Isn't it a bit early to decide on that, given we don't know anything about the card?  If US Bank is behind it, the card could be extremely lame.  If it's not lame right out of the gate, then it'll be lame after they nerf it in a few months.  And note that it says "up to 2%".

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true that not much is known about it now, I guess I'm speaking optimistically.. I did see that they are switching from AmEx to Visa, and the current incarnation I thought I saw that it was 2% back period, which I assumed the new one would be... also per Fidelity's website-

"Coming in January: Fidelity 2% Cash-Back Card

Visit us on January 4 to learn about the features of our card and how to apply."

If it is truly 2% back on everything and it needs to go to a Fidelity account (where I already have my 401k), I don't see how it can really be screwed up--- I'll have enough other card options to only use this one for purchases where I would otherwise only get 1% back.. An all-around 2% card is really the only thing I think I'm missing, and I am hoping this one will be worth getting especially if I am obligated to put it in retirement

(maybe Jan 4 refers to midnight EST so we'll have more info in 3 hours)

Message 22 of 23
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(maybe Jan 4 refers to midnight EST so we'll have more info in 3 hours)

I'd love to have the info tonight, but somehow I doubt it will happen at midnight in any US timezone.  If you were Fidelity/USBank/etc, would you really want a deluge of calls to come in at midnight when the extra staff isn't on hand to field them?  I dunno, maybe they're having a big slumber party over there tonight.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.