cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for Citi but declined after 1 day. Recon... what are my chances?

tag
IanZ63Q1

Applied for Citi but declined after 1 day. Recon... what are my chances?

I was denied due to too many inquiries from when I bought my wife's car in april and the dealer got around 12 lenders to pull my credit and compared for the best term offerings for me... that's nice in a way but that was 12 hard pulls.... Citi said that's why my app was declined.

I asked them if they can reconsider it and take into account the nature of the inquiries, and they said actually yes we will review your application more deeply within 7-10 business days, and you should call after that to check the results.

So I will call... what do you think my chances are?

Chase Visa $5k
Chase Ink Cash (business credit) $7.5k
Amex Business Gold Rewards (charge)
Capital One Visa Platinum (personal) $1.7k
Capital One Rewards Mastercard (personal) $1.5k

Starting Score: 552
Current Score: 664
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Applied for Citi but declined after 1 day. Recon... what are my chances?

@IanZ63Q1 wrote:

I was denied due to too many inquiries from when I bought my wife's car in april and the dealer got around 12 lenders to pull my credit and compared for the best term offerings for me... that's nice in a way but that was 12 hard pulls.... Citi said that's why my app was declined.

I asked them if they can reconsider it and take into account the nature of the inquiries, and they said actually yes we will review your application more deeply within 7-10 business days, and you should call after that to check the results.

So I will call... what do you think my chances are?

IMO this should be a fairly easy recon ~ anyone manually reviewing your report can easily see that the inquries were related to Auto loan shopping.    This is one of the areas where automated underwriting fails bigtime.  Smiley Tongue

Let us know how it works out !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

+1 Pizzadude.  Your score will jump up when they re-factor in the fact that the pulls were for the same account, not varius accounts.  Also having the pre-existing lines of credits helps to secure a prime card.  GL!

Message 3 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't read about too many recons with Citi but then again, I don't see a lot of people applying for them on these boards.  Smiley Tongue

I think if they realize they were all auto-related, they should give you the card.  What card did you apply for??

What the dealer did is called "shotgunning" or shotgun blasting.  Believe me, it wasn't to be "nice." 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of those apps are supposed to be noted as auto loan shopping, but when I went auto loan shopping last feb, none of the loans were noted as such.  4 or 5 inqs in one week, lucky they are easy to explain, it just adds another layer to the app process

Message 5 of 8
dnice77
Regular Contributor

What are your scores. a dealear shouldnt have to run 12inq if your credit was stable for a car, there arent that many finance options IMO...that may be a factor in your citi approval.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not blame his scores, I would blame the dealership.  It truly can vary from dealership to dealership or even person to person within a dealership on how many apps they try to shotgun. 

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not blame his scores, I would blame the dealership.  It truly can vary from dealership to dealership or even person to person within a dealership on how many apps they try to shotgun. 

Actually I don't blame the dealership at all: they are doing you a favor by that behavior.

The problem is that apparently many auto-inquiries get incorrectly coded for whatever reason, and that is the fault of the lenders, not the dealers.  I'm not certain how to see auto inquiry coding on my reports... out of the slew of inquiries I took, only one states "Auto Loan" in the comments (according to my EX report) whereas all others are listed as "Permissible Purpose."

It's a little fustruating as there should be tighter control on these things, but regardless I agree with everyone else: this is the easiest recon in the world to perform, you'll be fine.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.