Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for Costo Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for Costo Amex

I just applied for the Costo American Express, and they gave me a message that if I'm approved, I'll receive the card in 14 days. Is this normal, or does this mean that I don't have a good shot at approval? Do they do immediate approvals/rejections online?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
mclaughh
Established Member

Re: Applied for Costo Amex

It's normal. They will have to verify your Costco membership first. It will be at least a week before you get an answer.

Message 2 of 29
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

You can call to check if it was approved or not before a week though. When I got mine I had the same message, and after a couple of days I called Amex to ask and the guy told me they get the information once a week from Costco so depending on when you apply and when they get the information, it could be right away or up to a week.

Message 3 of 29
jason10
New Contributor

I just applied for the TrueEarnings card today at a local Costco and was approved instantly with a $2k CL. In fact, they gave me a temporary printout that I was able to use to charge my purchase at Costco. I wonder why there's such a delay when you apply online.

Message 4 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jason10 wrote:

I just applied for the TrueEarnings card today at a local Costco and was approved instantly with a $2k CL. In fact, they gave me a temporary printout that I was able to use to charge my purchase at Costco. I wonder why there's such a delay when you apply online.

When you apply online, you're applying with AmEx, and they have to confirm with Costco that you are really a member.

When you apply in the store, they know that you're a member, even if you joined 30 seconds before as I did. So all they have to do is run you through the AmEx process, then you're approved, and bingo, there's your printout with your CL and a bar code to use for shopping until your card comes. (I think it came about 5-6 days later for me, and my member since AmEx date was already backdated, without my having to ask.)

If there's a Costco store anywhere near you, apply in-store. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please tell me what your FICO scores are? I've heard of some people being approved with scores like mine (mid-high 600's) and then several people have said that this card is hard to get.

Message 6 of 29
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

I usually type in the search feature below the Community tab at the top "True Earnings" and click the Search button.  It will list all of the cases where people asked this very same question.  The dates are on the right side, so I can get the latest and greatest information.  Most have their scores in the signature or in tell within the body of their posts.

Message 7 of 29
jason10
New Contributor

685 EQ. 3 yr, 7 mo. AAoA, 29 year account history due to AU card (I'm only 25). No late payments or derogatory reporting. 35% util (rapidly paying off CC debt). I have had an AMEX Blue card since July 2007, and currently have a $2.6K CL with a $0 balance. In addition, I am an AU on my mother's 29 year-old AMEX Gold card. I signed up using an add-on membership of an Executive Costco account that dates back 10 years.

Message 8 of 29
android01
Valued Contributor

With all of the AMEX Costco talk, I had to go out and get myself one today.  Pox on you all!  Smiley Wink I'd never been in a Costco before, and I was amazed at what they offer, although I have no idea what I would do with such massive quantities of food, or a bottle of 2000 Advil.  The application process was done in about two minutes, and I found myself jockeying for position with about 5000 other people with a shopping cart the size of a small station wagon, which I couldn't come close to filling.  I did buy a small TV for my home office however (I was looking to do this anyway).     

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, I'm a little worried about my application. The online application check says that they can't find my application (I applied on Friday, so 5 days ago). I called the number to check on it, and they can't find it either. Not by my name, or my social. Help? Should I reapply, or check my report to see if they pulled it? If so, which report do they typically use? Thanks!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.