Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for NFCU cashrewards & got 3-5 message

tag
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applied for NFCU cashrewards & got 3-5 message

I checked status online and I seen it said voided under credit card so I called in was told they needed additional info for me to fax in so I did that today. No word yet on my loan. I will keep you updated on the outcome.
Message 11 of 32
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

Ok  checked status online yesterday and took notice my bal was $0 when I had $50 in savings, so I called in to find out I need to talk to member services and they were gone for the day. They said I am not eligible but I am, my husband was in the Navy out of high school and got honorably discharged I faxed a copy of the ceritifcate to them yesterday. Any input?

Message 12 of 32
bluewillow
New Contributor

If you husband was discharged from Navy and was not a member prior then no you are not eligible.

Only active military & familes, Department of Defense employees & family including retired, Department of Defense contractors & family.

My husband as well was in Navy & his DD214's are not going to make me eligible. I have to go through my Daughter in law & son as she is a Department of Defense employee.

Message 13 of 32
bluewillow
New Contributor

That said....I don't know why they don't open membership to veterans with an honorable discharge.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mnegron1969 wrote:

Ok  checked status online yesterday and took notice my bal was $0 when I had $50 in savings, so I called in to find out I need to talk to member services and they were gone for the day. They said I am not eligible but I am, my husband was in the Navy out of high school and got honorably discharged I faxed a copy of the ceritifcate to them yesterday. Any input?

So they gave you membership with account #, and then tell you you're not eligible after the fact?  How did you apply for membership?

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I would agree that you are not eligible, unless your husband joined NFCU during his active Navy time; or unless he was discharged with retirment or other pension (paid) benefits.

NFCU doesn't open membership to prior service because their main focus and mission is to "ACTIVE" duty. If you you join while active, then you maintain benefits/membership after separation....but if not, then unless you become a civilian DoD employee you are not going to get in.

I don't think NFCU will EVER open to all prior service....they are all ready the largest CU in the world.

USAA did so, but they are trying to grow their insurance business, not just banking/lending.

IMO Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay... I'm confused.... Hope this isn't a thread hijack, but....

Why do a lot of people like NFCU so much?  Is it a great CU?  Better than local ones? 

My stepdad is retired airforce.  Am I eligible?  I looked at the website, but I was a little unclear.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do a lot of people like NFCU so much?  Is it a great CU?  Better than local ones? 

My stepdad is retired airforce.  Am I eligible?  I looked at the website, but I was a little unclear.

Yes, it is a great CU.

If your father retired with "paid" or annuatized payments, then IF HE JOINS, then you become eligible.  Eligibility of family is to MEMBERS, not because of service.

Membership is restricted to 1 of 2 scenarios:  Either you are active or paid retired from military/DoD, or you are directly related to a Member of NFCU.  If you family member is not a member, you are not eligible, regardless of what their military/DoD affiliations are....in order for you to join, they must first join (if they are eligible).

Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it is a great CU.

If your father retired with "paid" or annuatized payments, then IF HE JOINS, then you become eligible.  Eligibility of family is to MEMBERS, not because of service.

Membership is restricted to 1 of 2 scenarios:  Either you are active or paid retired from military/DoD, or you are directly related to a Member of NFCU.  If you family member is not a member, you are not eligible, regardless of what their military/DoD affiliations are....in order for you to join, they must first join (if they are eligible).

Smiley Happy

Actually this is only partially true.

Copied from the eligibility wizard

Membership Wizard

Welcome to Navy Federal's Eligibility Wizard. Find out if you're eligible to join by simply answering a few questions.

You Selected Family Member

This includes those whose family members are currently a member of Navy Federal or eligible for membership.

Our definition of Family Member includes grandparent, parent, spouse, sibling, children (adopted, foster and step), grandchildren and household members.*

Does this describe you?

Yes No Start Over

You can join if your family member is eligible for membership.  They don't actually have to join.

Message 19 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
...If your father retired with "paid" or annuatized payments, then IF HE JOINS, then you become eligible.  Eligibility of family is to MEMBERS, not because of service.

I have to say that I'm an exception to this. I was able to join because my mother receives a pension based on my late father's Army service. I thought that she would have to join, but she didn't. In fact, they approved me just on my word. I gave them my father's name, but they said that they didn't need his DOB or his SSN, even though I was ready to supply them.

I'm still pretty shocked. I wasn't trying to do an end run or anything; they simply said that they didn't need these extra steps. It has been since September, and they haven't tossed me out yet.

I do think that sometimes NFCU broadens its eligibility, and then it tightens back up again. And they never have softed me, either, as best as I can tell. Mysterious!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.