Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for a Best Buy card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for a Best Buy card

I have always wanted a Best Buy card.  Yeah, I'm a typical guy who LOVES that store.  My credit has never been sufficient, though.  I've always been declined.  Thanks to the advice on this board, my scores have come up a good deal.  Started in Aug. 07 with an EQ Fico of 572.  Now, in Nov my Fico scores are TU 658, EQ 608, EX 639.

So, against my better judgment, I applied online for the Best Buy card.  It wasn't an instant approval but after 15 minutes or so the application inquiry site said to call for verification of some items.  Excited, I called, but they didn't verify anything.  They told me I was not approved for the regular Best Buy card at this time Smiley Sad, but that they were offering me the Reward Zone Mastercard.  The Reward Zone card does not get any of the offers that Best Buy offers such as 90 days same as cash.  They said the CL would be $500 and there may be an annual fee.  I said NO, Thank you.

I am so mad at myself for doing this.  Will this one inquiry hurt my score badly?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applied for a Best Buy card

Depends on how many other inq are on your record.

Stpn2me
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They offered you a MArstercard and Dc'd you for the stoe card?  Thats new.  I wish they had done that with me.  Would save me from closing the master in April.  They approved me for the MAster and had to reapp for the store.  crappy 500.00 limit on the Master but they waived the fee for the first year.  Reappd for the store and got a 3k limit...go figure.  Of the two I agree would rather have the store card.

I'm not a guy but I love BB.  So far this year two comps and they just delivered my new dishwasher at 18 mos same as.  Never paid a dime in interest so far.
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

DS is very much an electronics junkie, and he's my latest recipient of credit haranguing, ummm, advice. He needs a store card, and after reading Brammy's praise of the BB store-card-not-MC, he's looking at app'ing for one. He currently only has two Visa's, Citi and local bank, both with $1K, 14% util, but amazingly his history is clean except for misadventures with an Express card 3 1/2 years ago. He's Mr. Thin File (4 TL's), and his annual income isn't much, but he lives in his own place, which is all that matters. Smiley Wink

His FICO's are EQ 712 - EX 697 - TU 684. I assume that would get him a card, but what kind of CL? He's going BB hunting today, so any info and advice is appreciated! thanks

edit for typo

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-11-2007 10:29 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I thought it was weird too.  Why give me a MC that I could use anywhere including Best Buy, but not give me a store card?  The reason I wanted the store card is so I could take advantage of the no interest offers.  But, NOOOOOOOO. 

I looked at the denial letter this morning, it didn't give specific reasons (I can send in for them), but they pulled from EQ which is my worst score.  Should I maybe do a Recon?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
DS is very much an electronics junkie, and he's my latest recipient of credit haranguing, ummm, advice. He needs a store card, and after reading Brammy's praise of the BB store-card-not-MC, he's looking at app'ing for one. He currently only has two Visa's, Citi and local bank, both with $1K, 14% util, but amazingly his history is clean expect for misadventures with an Express card 3 1/2 years ago. He's Mr. Thin File (4 TL's), and his annual income isn't much, but he lives in his own place, which is all that matters. Smiley Wink

His FICO's are EQ 712 - EX 697 - TU 684. I assume that would get him a card, but what kind of CL? He's going BB hunting today, so any info and advice is appreciated! thanks

I say go for it.  They pulled EQ in my case and my scores are nowhere near that high (with a BK on record even as old as it is).  I would sugggest over the phone or in store cause online they automatically consider you for the MC first.  At least thats what they told me.  Over the phone or in store he can specify.

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good advice! --I'll pass it on. thanks Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the BB-MC also -- and wish I had the store card instead.  I will be closing it at the end of the first year and trying to figure out how to get a store card later (like when I'm in there buying 3 DLPs and a HT).  There are advantages to store cards!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.