cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for two secured cards (BofA Secured & Capital One Secured). Scared that I'm messing up...

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Applied for two secured cards (BofA Secured & Capital One Secured). Scared that I'm messing

Last month my wife opened a checking account with BoA, and asked for a credit card (new in USA just received a SSN), the normal cash rewards card was denied but they offered a secured cash rewards card, she deposited extra $500 and received the card in less than 10 days. We think she can add more money to the secured line to improve her limit, maybe we can try that in 3 months.

The offer for secured card was in the branch just after the original denial. 

Message 11 of 16
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Re: Applied for two secured cards (BofA Secured & Capital One Secured). Scared that I'm messing

My brother had a blank credit file on all three and applied for a Capital One Platinum three weeks ago. Got a "7-10 day" message and the card came in the mail last Friday.

Message 12 of 16
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Hey Craig,

I used to have a BoA secured card when I was building my credit and I believe everyone gets the 30 day message for secure applications. Watch your bank activity for an ACH withdraw from Bank of America; because that happened a few days before I received my card. Also, make sure to add the the 1-2-3 rewards to it to make it an even better secured card. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
JLK93
Established Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Hey Craig,

I used to have a BoA secured card when I was building my credit and I believe everyone gets the 30 day message for secure applications. Watch your bank activity for an ACH withdraw from Bank of America; because that happened a few days before I received my card. Also, make sure to add the the 1-2-3 rewards to it to make it an even better secured card. Smiley Happy

This is exactly how it worked for me.

Message 14 of 16

I'd like to thank everyone with the outpouring of help. You guys made me feel much more confident on my beginners path to credit.

So here's the update. I decided to call today to check both of the status and I got some great news from Bank of America when I called and the customer services rep told me that I had indeed been accepted for the BofA Secured Card with a credit line of $500  (Yay! Smiley Happy ). Now the downside to this was that she wasn't able to tell me when they would take the deposit out from my checking account (I'm assuming in the next few days). 

The other downside is that I asked her about adding the 123 Rewards onto the secured card and she went ahead and told me that it wasn't possible, I was polite and told her that I knew of others who were able to do it but she stood her ground in that regard. So now I'm wondering if I should wait untlil I receive my card in the mail and then try adding it at a branch or if there's a number that you guys have had luck with when it comes to adding that reward package.

As for Capital One they are still reviewing the application and the rep told me to call in the next few days to check on the status of that.

Once again thanks for all the help guys! Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

@CraigCreditGuy wrote:

I'd like to thank everyone with the outpouring of help. You guys made me feel much more confident on my beginners path to credit.

So here's the update. I decided to call today to check both of the status and I got some great news from Bank of America when I called and the customer services rep told me that I had indeed been accepted for the BofA Secured Card with a credit line of $500  (Yay! Smiley Happy ). Now the downside to this was that she wasn't able to tell me when they would take the deposit out from my checking account (I'm assuming in the next few days). 

The other downside is that I asked her about adding the 123 Rewards onto the secured card and she went ahead and told me that it wasn't possible, I was polite and told her that I knew of others who were able to do it but she stood her ground in that regard. So now I'm wondering if I should wait untlil I receive my card in the mail and then try adding it at a branch or if there's a number that you guys have had luck with when it comes to adding that reward package.

As for Capital One they are still reviewing the application and the rep told me to call in the next few days to check on the status of that.

Once again thanks for all the help guys! Smiley Wink

My wife's card came with cash rewards. The person in the branch told my wife that she will get that card and she did.

Two weeks later I opened a savings account and applied for a secured card, it was Saturday so I think the person who helped me didn't know how to input some information (I have no SSN) and a few days later I saw online that the card that they will send was not a cash rewards card. Within my online sesion I clic chat and asked to change the card to cash rewards, and the online representative said "no problem" and told me that I'll get a new card in 2-4 weeks (this was almost 1 week before I got the card, just a few days after I opened the account, I just had the 4 last numbers on the card as it is shown online). That was exactly 4 weeks ago and guess what I got in the mail today, my new cash rewards card.

I didn't use the other card and is not showing anymore online, so I guess that the other card is no longer valid. Maybe I'll talk to them or visit a branch to make sure.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.